This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• site loading slow

I don't know if it's just me but the site is loading really slow for me the last days.
    Does this happen to anybody else.

I can acces the site perfectly with tapatalk, however, the logging in goes also slow
    but I have no further problems browsing the site
    sigpic

Works fine for me

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzymoon View Post
      I don't know if it's just me but the site is loading really slow for me the last days.
      Does this happen to anybody else.

I can acces the site perfectly with tapatalk, however, the logging in goes also slow
      but I have no further problems browsing the site
      yes, I know. its the shoutbox. This is why I was so adamant about not bringing it back to the main page of the site. You will notice now the site is moving faster, and its because I killed the shoutbox

Comment

it works fine for me but seems like i don't have SB

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lek View Post
          it works fine for me but seems like i don't have SB
          yea, had to kill the shoutbox temporarily because it was crushing the server. the web host is already complaining.

Comment

turning it back on to test

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
              yes, I know. its the shoutbox. This is why I was so adamant about not bringing it back to the main page of the site. You will notice now the site is moving faster, and its because I killed the shoutbox
              Thanks for the fast reply
              So what's gonna happen with the shoutbox now, cuz when it's back, the same problem can happen again
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply
                So what's gonna happen with the shoutbox now, cuz when it's back, the same problem can happen again
                honestly I do not know the answer to that question atm. If I remove the shoutbox from the homepage, I get a mini mutiny on my hands from half the members who demand it back. There are basically three options, and none of them are good.

1. Keep the shoutbox online, and deal with the extremely slow site at times.
                2. Remove the shoutbox from the homepage again and deal with the angry mobs.
                3. Go back to how we had it before with a second server dedicated to just the shoutbox and nothing else, and have it "stream" the shoutbox to this site.

#3 may sound like the best solution to most people, but it doubles the amount I have to pay for hosting, and causes a maintenance nightmare, and a major headache for the staff getting accounts and other things synced up between the two sites.

Comment

honestly I do not know the answer to that question atm. If I remove the shoutbox from the homepage, I get a mini mutiny on my hands from half the members who demand it back. There are basically three options, and none of them are good.

1. Keep the shoutbox online, and deal with the extremely slow site at times.
                  2. Remove the shoutbox from the homepage again and deal with the angry mobs.
                  3. Go back to how we had it before with a second server dedicated to just the shoutbox and nothing else, and have it "stream" the shoutbox to this site.

#3 may sound like the best solution to most people, but it doubles the amount I have to pay for hosting, and causes a maintenance nightmare, and a major headache for the staff getting accounts and other things synced up between the two sites.

I understand your point of view, like you said option 3 sounds like the best solution, but there's no need to pay extra for hosting if that can be avoided.
                  So I guess I'm gonna go with option 1 and deal with the slow loading times
                  sigpic

Comment

I understand your point of view, like you said option 3 sounds like the best solution, but there's no need to pay extra for hosting if that can be avoided.
                    So I guess I'm gonna go with option 1 and deal with the slow loading times
                    I am looking at a combination of other ideas as well. There are certain aspects of the shoutbox that can make it go haywire more than others. Things like those large smileys with alot of animation. I'll find a solution, even it if takes modifying some of the shoutbox code, which I have had to do on another of other mods on the site anyways.

the shoutbox is on now (i pruned it) and the site is running lightning fast again atm.

Comment

the shoutbox is on now (i pruned it) and the site is running lightning fast again atm.
                      Let's hope it stays that way
                      Thanks for all the info
                      sigpic

Comment

Let's hope it stays that way
                        Thanks for all the info
                        taken a few additional steps and come up with a plan with staff to hopefully keep things running more smoothly, while still keeping the shoutbox on the main site.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                        Working...
                        X