X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoutbox Update Part 2

This thread is a follow up to the below linked thread:

Site related information to include announcements, updates, & rules.

So we were forced to remove the shoutbox from the main page of the site due to increased activity and continual site slowdown related to the box. Since removing the box there has a drastic drop in server load averages and the site seems much faster and more responsive. Where as before Saturday I was waiting 3-5 seconds every time I clicked a link, now its rare that I see 3 seconds of load time after each click. The shoutbox was still available of course, but only by clicking the shoutbox tab. The reason the site is so much faster after the change, is because the shoutbox tab is actually linking you to somewhere else. The shoutbox is hosted on a different site, made to look identical to this site, for the sole purpose of providing the shoutbox without effecting this sites server load.

This has worked well, and the site speed increase is noticeable, but I know that some members miss having the shoutbox on the main page. I started brainstorming ideas, and I have found the solution.

The shoutbox will be returning to the main page, for now, just on the Nikola style, while I test the functionality of what I am going to do. Without going into to much technical computer talk, I am basically going to put a window on the main page, where the shoutbox used to be. The shoutbox on the duplicate site will stream into this window. To you, the members, it will look identical, it will just be like the shoutbox is on the main page. The major difference being that our sites speed will not be effected at all, because this site will not be loading the shoutbox, your computer's browser will.

There is one catch to the new method. Since the shoutbox is streaming from a second site, it will require a second login. Upon first loading the homepage after I make the change, you will see a login box in the new window. Log in with your same username and password that you use on this site. The shoutbox will then display.

Expect this some time today, and please remember, for the time being it will only be on the Nikola style, which is the 2nd most used style.

Please let me or any staff members know of any questions.

yay sb back, thanks
    Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin
    Where blood has been shed the tree of forgiveness cannot grow

Comment

i'm using the nikola style but i dont c a shoutbox.. i have it opened in a separate tab..

[MENTION=1]007

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
        i'm using the nikola style but i dont c a shoutbox.. i have it opened in a separate tab..

[MENTION=1]007
        I havent done it yet. I am waiting for a few more staff members to check in on something, then I will make it happen

Comment

oh ok ...

in that case.. best of luck chief

Comment

Originally posted by jamaal View Post
            yay sb back, thanks
            Originally posted by Omar View Post

[MENTION=1]007
            shoutbox should be up on nikola style. you may have to log in a second time. please let me know if its working right

Comment

can any members clarify wether they can see the shoutbox on the nikola style please

Comment

Yep there is a shoutbox on the nikola style.

Comment

Originally posted by HazeSilver View Post
                  Yep there is a shoutbox on the nikola style.
                  W00t!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice job I see a huge difference in the speed now....thank u
                    "You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something.”

Comment

yup, works perfectly
                      Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin
                      Where blood has been shed the tree of forgiveness cannot grow

Comment

Originally posted by jamaal View Post
                        yup, works perfectly
                        Cool thanks. The shoutbox should be a lot more responsive then it was before as well. Plus now you guys can spam the heck out of it and it will have no negative impact on the sites speed. Wish I would have come up with this idea years ago before spending tons of time and money on it lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to hear that [MENTION=1]007 look forward to seeing this return on the main page i often use nikola theme so im happy.
                          Love.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                            shoutbox should be up on nikola style. you may have to log in a second time. please let me know if its working right

nikola style SB is A OK.... thanks bosses

[MENTION=1184]Draven

Comment

Now get ready for cockmeat sandwich. Hope you like extra mayo............
                              2PAC-FORUM.COM REFERENCE SECTION

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X