Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At The Movies: 'Battle Los Angeles' Tops Box Office With Strong Debut, Others Not So

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At The Movies: 'Battle Los Angeles' Tops Box Office With Strong Debut, Others Not So

There was a trio of new films over the weekend to take in, but it was the summer-style blockbuster, "Battle: Los Angeles," knocked everyone out of the race for the top of the box office for the top spot.

The film, which stars Aaron Eckhart as a veteran soldier leading a platoon of Marines in combat against invading aliens, raked in a strong debut of $36 million, beating out the closet film, "Rango," by over $10 million.

"It's kind of like having a summer film in the spring," Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution at Sony, told the Associated Press. "From the beginning, this was a film we were excited about."

In its second week of release, the animated Western spoof, "Rango", came in at #2 with $23.1 million, adding to its total which is now at $68.7 million.

The weekend's other new releases didn't fare as well.

"Red Riding Hood," the updated fairy tale starring Amanda Seyfried and helmed by "Twilight" director Catherine Hardwicke, debuted to $14.1 million for Warner Bros.

And Disney's animated 3D family film, "Mars Needs Moms", opened with a disappointing $6.8 million, well below expectations. It features a voice cast that includes Seth Green and Joan Cusack.

The #4 film this week was Matt Damon's "The Adjustment Bureau", dropping two spots with $11.4 million.

That's a wrap for this weekend. Next weekend, look out for the release of "Limitless" starring Bradley Cooper, the crime drama "The Lincoln Lawyer," and the sci-fi comedy "Paul".

This weekend's top 10 is as follows:

1 - "Battle: Los Angeles," $36 million.
    2 - "Rango," $23.1 million.
    3 - "Red Riding Hood," $14.1 million.
    4 - "The Adjustment Bureau," $11.5 million.
    5 - "Mars Needs Moms!" $6.8 million.
    6 - "Hall Pass," $5.1 million.
    7 - "Beastly," $5.1 million
    8 - "Just Go With It," $4 million.
    9 - "The King's Speech," $3.6 million.
    10 - "Gnomeo & Juliet," $3.5 million.

Not an impressive top ten.

I watched Battle - Los Angeles last night. Bit senseless in the storyline, but plenty of guns, explosions and of course aliens. not a bad blokey film if you can shut ya brain off and forget the story

Comment

^^I agree. First time I saw a trailer for the movie, I was really hyped for it because I thought it would be something new or something similar to District 9. Then I saw a second trailer and it blew most of my hype away. The movie starts well tho, i was so high, i thought i was a soldier myself. But you can clearly see when the movie shifts from good to bad. Still a good enjoyable movie. Fighting scenes are dope.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
      Working...
      X