‘I Am Legend 2′ with Will Smith is Officially Moving Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘I Am Legend 2′ with Will Smith is Officially Moving Forward

Warner Bros. has officially closed a deal to begin development on a new ‘I Am Legend’ movie which may star Will Smith – but, inexplicably, may not be a prequel.

There have been rumblings about an impending second installment in the I Am Legend (would-be) franchise being made, ever since the original 2007 film grossed over half a billion dollars worldwide in theaters. Warner Bros. has finally struck a deal to do just that, with Oscar-winner Akiva Goldsman – who co-wrote and produced the original Legend adaptation – now onboard to collaborate on the project (in some form).

Here’s where things get a bit tricky. The second I Am Legend flick is (as Deadline puts it) “not being called a prequel,” and is being fashioned so as to allow Will Smith to reprise his role as scientist Robert Neville (if the A-lister so chooses).

Quick history lesson: some three years ago, Smith reportedly conceived an idea for an I Am Legend prequel, the setup for which would have seen the Robert Neville character team up with pockets of survivors in the aftermath of an apocalyptic man-made virus – resulting in him “interacting, bonding, and ultimately failing to save them,” thus setting the stage for the events of I Am Legend.

However, that idea was scrapped in favor of a more direct sequel. The script for I Am Legend 2 was to be written by then-unknown D.B. Weiss (now, known as the co-creator of HBO’s Game of Thrones TV series) and would have somehow allowed for Smith to reprise his role as Mr. Neville, despite his (spoiler?) having been seemingly blown up by a grenade during the climax of the first film.

Jump to the present and Warner Bros. has instead recruited up-and-comer Arash Amel (The Expatriate) to pen the initial draft for the new I Am Legend movie. There’s no word yet on whether or not the project is still being fashioned as a sequel – though, it could be in a state of flux similar to the studio’s 300 spin-off, a film which was long assumed to be a prequel/midquel, but has recently been labeled a sequel instead.

Smith is expected to return for the second 'I Am Legend' installment

Assuming the second installment of I Am Legend is not simply a prequel-in-disguise, there are two ways for a Smith-starring sequel to make sense (sort of):

Robert Neville is featured heavily in flashbacks, in a manner similar to how I Am Legend chronicles the chaotic quarantine of Manhattan (via its protagonist’s memories).
    Amel’s screenplay accepts I Am Legend‘s alternate ending (which partly restores the thematic value of Richard Matheson’s source material, while also allowing Robert Neville to live) as being “canon” – and ignores the much-decried climax to the film adaptation’s theatrical cut.
    Obviously, the easier (and, frankly, more interesting) route would be to develop a prequel along the lines of what Smith originally had in mind, rather than attempting to awkwardly navigate around the conclusion to the theatrically-released version of I Am Legend. For the time being, though, it seems that the former may NOT be what Warner Bros. has in mind. Make of that what you will.

Warner Bros. has officially closed a deal to begin development on a new 'I Am Legend' movie which may star Will Smith - but, inexplicably, may not be a prequel.

this was a really nice movie that i never really expected.... i thought it was gonna be kinda crap but this was actually really good... i know that Will dies at the end but there are always ways around that... specially because you dont actually physically see him "die" as i remember.... so there are plenty of ways around it i think..

Comment

Great news, thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Interesting to see what they do with this

Comment

i thought the first film was pretty good as well
        & as for this im interested to see how will smith fit`s into it with his character supposedly being dead
        but like you said [MENTION=747]Papaveli there are always way`s round it
        although i think will`s idea for a prequel would be very good as well

Comment

be interesting to see the first one wasn't that bad

Comment

Oh yea the story of the second movie is:
            *spoiler*
            Will smith is black, has a beard and faked his death. Now he has 7 days to kill all his fuckin zombie enemies and then he "resurrects"... Very cool story huh?!
            Jk

First movie was ok. Hope they dont destroy the second movie with a stupid story or somethin'...
            I remember there was an alternate ending for the first movie... Will smith survived there...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

good news!! i have the blu-ray and really liked this movie.. alot of my friends dont like this movie, but i do like it..

looking forward to the new one, but im sure it will be good as will smith movies were always great!!

Comment

Yea im hoping they dont f this movie up cus i realy like the first one..Wills one of my fave actors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Comment

Good To Hear, The 1st Movie was Amazin!

Comment

Man survives years with out anyone, Woman comes along and man dies within hours..Damn bitches...

But for real the first one was really great. Good news

Comment

a prequel wud be great

not so sure about a sequel

Comment

Love the first movie, would be nice to see a second part

Comment

part 1 was ok ...nothing more
                          My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
                          Vinyls: 60
                          Cassettes: 110
                          CDs: 216

Comment

Cant wait!

Comment

that was the alternate ending... check it out... that would be better for a sequel... but whatever! just wait N c

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X