New Writer Hired to Get ‘Scarface’ Remake Ready to Cast and Shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Writer Hired to Get ‘Scarface’ Remake Ready to Cast and Shoot

The popularity of Breaking Bad — a sort of alternate Scarface where a Regular American becomes a totally compromised drug trade figure — is probably all Universal needs as encouragement to make a new take on Scarface. Well, that and the enduring popularity of images related to the 1983 film directed by Brian De Palma starring Al Pacino.

Universal has been cooking up a new take on the story of an immigrant’s rise to criminal power, and now has a new writer on board to get the picture closer to a green light.

Deadline reports that Paul Attanasio (Donnie Brasco) has been set to rewrite David Ayer‘s draft. The contemporary take on Scarface will feature “an outsider, an immigrant, [who] barges his way into the criminal establishment in pursuit of a twisted version of the American dream, becoming a kingpin through a campaign of ruthlessness and violent ambition.”

The previous two versions of Scarface featured a lead who was from Italy (the 1932 version) and Cuba (De Palma’s take). Universal isn’t revealing yet where the new guy will be from, or precisely how the story will play out. But Scarface is a pretty classic, simple tale, so the basic beats should all be pretty familiar. There will undoubtably be contemporary issues woven into this one — America’s complicated take on legal and illegal immigration, perhaps — but whether the film will be more than a gangland thrill ride remains to be seen. Attanasio’s experience writing for Homicide might lead him to make a topical, relevant version.

No no no. Please don't remake it. Its a classic you can even touch the original. No matter how much money you put into you wont even get close. Never ever remake classics. End.

What's your favorite scary movie?

Comment

Re: New Writer Hired to Get ‘Scarface’ Remake Ready to Cast and Shoot

Stop where your at! back tf off the scarface movie.. My favorite film ever cant even be touched by todays films let alone a fukken remake. Its like trying to remake All Eyez On Me Album.. no one can touch it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

the most people dont know that Scarface (1983) is a remake too
        but I agree, I dont want a new version of this classic movie
        My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
        Vinyls: 60
        Cassettes: 110
        CDs: 216

Comment

Damn, pls never why they wanna do a remake of this classic movie...omg

Comment

i notice movies these days are like music or books, they suck.

id like to see what they do with it tbh

Comment

Lack of new ideas comes to mind and so they decide to create remakes. Same with all these HD remakes of games
              Death Row Records Samples List

Comment

they should leave this well alone they ain't gonna improve on a classic

Comment

double post pls delete it ... thx
                  Last edited by C4poTheDon; 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

yeah like poster before me said its a classic and i dont think that u can make an remake thats only 5 percent near the 80s film , it was one of al pacinos greatest roles and u will never find an actor like him nowadays i think ... al pacino in scrafcae were straifght fire ... so pls let the classic untouched fuckin sony where are the creative heads from nowadays it seems like the world is full with bieber and wayne fans not only at the music industrie , filmndustrie is falling off too .

"Fuck Justin Bieber and fuck the fuckin' Jonas Brothers! Fuck them all! I bury those cockroaches!"

Comment

They should wait at least 50 years before remaking.. It's a blasphemy.

Sent from my LG Optimus 2x with Tapatalk 2
                      www.youtube.com/user/LilProphetMusic
                      www.reverbnation.com/LilProphetMusic
                      www.facebook.com/LilProphet
                      www.twitter.com/LilProphetMusic

Comment

Ye, I also think that it's not the best idea.
                        Hey Nas, remember that shit you said?
                        I don't know what magazine you said, soome shit how I wasn’t
                        Nobody saying thugs till well whatever, whatever, whatever.
                        Nigga you better really go to a record store go check out some of your albums you been putting out motherfucka
                        We be doing this thug shit for awhile now
                        I know you been listening cause you been biting this shit
                        So uh, recognize and realize, before your ass get rolled on

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                        Working...
                        X