Joss Whedon Discusses The Challenges of Making A Hulk Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joss Whedon Discusses The Challenges of Making A Hulk Movie

The Avengers director Joss Whedon is out touring his new movie Much Ado About Nothing, and of course everyone just wants to talk about The Avengers 2 and the rest of the Marvel Universe. While attending the Glassgow Film Festival Whedon was asked if it was possible to make a good Hulk movie, and this was his response,

Yes. But it would be very, very hard. Hulk is a tricky son of a bitch. He’s the Claudio of superheroes. Because the problem is it’s a very popular character, but it’s not a superhero. Half of it’s a superhero, half of it’s a werewolf. And you can’t structure it like a superhero movie, you can’t light it like a superhero movie. How do you develop that? It would be extremely difficult. The one thing you would have in your favour would be Mark Ruffalo. But right now I don’t know if they have plans to do that or not, because he works so well as part of a greater whole, but by himself, it’s tough. I don’t envy the guys who went before.

The first two Hulk movies both had their strengths and weaknesses, but I wasn't blown away by either one of them. The Avengers was the first movie where the Hulk shined. It gave me hope that one day we would see the mind blowing Hulk film we've all been waiting for.

Earlier this month a rumor hit the internet that Marvel was looking to develop a live-action Planet Hulk movie. I would love it if this happened! It's the perfect story to tell for the Hulk that fans would go crazy for. With Guardians of the Galaxy expanding the Marvel cinematic universe deeper into the cosmos, it makes perfect sense to me that Planet Hulk could be implemented into the movie universe.

One day we're going to see another Hulk film, but it probably isn't going to happen until phase four of Marvel's plan. Other than Whedon, who else do you think could direct a Hulk movie?
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X