Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Box Office: Strong Debut For 'Great Gatsby', But Can't Dethrone 'Iron Man 3'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Box Office: Strong Debut For 'Great Gatsby', But Can't Dethrone 'Iron Man 3'

Leonard DiCaprio's The Great Gatsby had one helluva debut this weekend, but it wasn't enough to dethrone Iron Man 3, which takes #1 at the weekend box office for second straight weekend.

The new Iron Man film took in $72.4 million this weekend to bring its two week total to $284 million domestically. It has far surpassed the franchise best of $624 million worldwide for Iron Man 2.

The Great Gatsby partied like it was the Roaring '20s with a $51.1 million debut, finishing at #2. In it, DiCaprio stars in the title role as 1920s mystery millionaire Jay Gatsby, while Carey Mulligan co-stars as his lost love and Tobey Maguire as the friend chronicling their doomed romance.

Pain and Gain fell to #3 with $5 million; and 42 closes out the top 5 with $4.6 million.

The weekend's other new wide release, Lionsgate's romantic comedy Peeples, flopped at #4 with just $4.9 million. Produced by Tyler Perry, the movie stars Craig Robinson and Kerry Washington in a meet-the-parents-style farce.

That's a wrap for this weekend. This upcoming week, look out for the release of Star Trek Into Darkness.

This weekend's top 10 is as follows:

1. "Iron Man 3," $72.5 million.
    2. "The Great Gatsby," $51.1 million.
    3. "Pain and Gain," $5 million.
    4. "Peeples," $4.9 million.
    5. "42," $4.7 million.
    6. "Oblivion," $3.9 million.
    7. "The Croods," $3.6 million.
    8. "The Big Wedding," $2.5 million.
    9. "Mud," $2.4 million.
    10. "Oz the Great and Powerful," $802,000.
    Source

Gatsby was really underwelming, I'm excited to Iron Mn this week though.
    A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
    & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
    & getting the benefits that go along with it
    Everythin that's out here for kings like us
    The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
    They don't understand is because we really from Africa
    & that's where all this stuff come from
    & we originated from kings

Comment

Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X