At The Box Office: Gay ‘Bruno’ Takes The Weekend Throne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At The Box Office: Gay ‘Bruno’ Takes The Weekend Throne

The weekend box office was taken over by a man who's behind several well-known characters. There's Ali G, there's Borat, but this weekend, you know him as Bruno.

Sacha Baron Cohen's new film, "Bruno," took the weekend's top spot, starting big on Friday (July 10) with $14.4 million, but dropped huge for the rest of the weekend. By Sunday, his film pulled in an estimated $30.4 million, a good enough performance to win the box office.

Cohen's character "Bruno" is a gay Austrian fashion devotee, who goes to extremes to achieve celebrity, and is just one of the many characters of the actor. His 2006 "Borat" was a box office smash, pulling in over $260 million worldwide.

Due to the huge decline on Saturday and Sunday, box office experts expect the film to not last over the coming weeks, calling its performance after Friday "unusual."

It finished ahead of "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs," which took second with $28.5 million, raising its domestic total to $120.6 million.

Finishing third after two weekends in the #1 spot was "Transformers" sequel, "Revenge of the Fallen," taking in another $24.2 million, raising its domestic haul to $339.2 million. It's passed the 2007 "Transformers", which took in a $319 million total.

Johnny Dep's "Public Enemies took #4 this week with $14.1 million; Sandra Bullock's "The Proposal landed at #5 with $15.5 million; and "The Hangover" took in just under $10 million in its sixth week.

The weekend's other wide release was "I Love You Beth Cooper", starring "Heroes" star Hayden Panettiere. It took the #7 spot, grossing just $5 million to open.

At #8 is "Up," #9 is "My Sister's Keeper", and "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3" takes #10.

The big movie this week is the highly anticipated, new "Harry Porter" film called "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". It drops Wednesday (July 15).
    SourcE:Ballerstatus.com

I cannot believe Bruno beat Transformers or Ice Age, cmon!!

Comment

Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X