Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan's Toho to Develop a New GODZILLA Movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan's Toho to Develop a New GODZILLA Movie!

After Legendary Pictures found success with its recent Godzilla movie, Japan's Toho, which is the company that originally brought Godzilla to life, is jumping back in the game! They've announced that they will be making a new Godzilla film of their own, and it will be released in 2016, which is two years before we see the sequel to the Legendary Pictures version. So for those of you aching to see the Japanese make another Godzilla film, it's coming!

THR reported on the announcement, and Toho producer Taichi Ueda had this to say in a statement:

“The time has come for Japan to make a film that will not lose to Hollywood.”

A Toho source added:

“This is very good timing after the success of the American version this year: if not now, then when? The licensing contract we have with Legendary places no restrictions on us making domestic versions.”

I've got to say, this is pretty exciting news! I loved what director Gareth Edwards did with his film, but it's more exciting for me to see what Toho plans on doing with the franchise. After all, Godzilla is their baby, which was born in 1954. I grew up watching those old films, and if anyone is going to make a film that all hardcore Godzilla fans will love, it's Toho.

This will be the 29th Godzilla movie that Toho has made, and it will be the first since 2004′s Godzilla: Final Wars, which marked the 50th anniversary of the original Godzilla. Toho's Godzilla is also the longest-running franchise in movie history.

The company says that they can’t match the $200 million budgets of a big Hollywood movie, but they hope that the advances in CG will allow them to create a film that can stand alongside those blockbuster productions. It will be cool to see how this project develops!
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X