Ridley Scott on Why He Won't Direct a Comic Book Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridley Scott on Why He Won't Direct a Comic Book Movie

Ridley Scott has made some pretty incredible films over the years, and he has played around with the horror and sci-fi genres. He has yet to direct a comic book movie, though, and it doesn’t look like it will ever happen. "Why?" You ask. Because apparently it’s too hard for him to do.

In a recent interview with IGN, the director explained,

"I've had a lot of opportunities and I tend not to do that. They're the hardest single thing to write. Taking a comic strip character is very hard to write. Because comics are meant to work in one page, to work in frames with minimalistic dialogue. And a lot of it is left to the imagination of the reader. To do that in film you've got to be a little more explanatory. And that requires a good screenplay and good dialogue."

That just seems like a weird response for me to hear from this talented filmmaker. I wouldn’t have thought that any of that stuff would be an issue for him, but apparently it is. It doesn’t seem to be a problem for Joss Whedon or any of the other filmmakers involved with the Marvel films.

I say if it's the "the single hardest thing to write," he should take on the challenge. What superhero would you want to see Scott take on?
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X