another legend gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another legend gone

(CNN) -- Teena Marie, a celebrated R&B singer-songwriter, was found dead Sunday at her California home, her manager said.
    Born Mary Christine Brockert in Santa Monica, California, the 54-year-old artist famously paired with late funk legend Rick James and was nominated four times for a Grammy Award, according to her official website.
    Marie was found dead by her daughter after apparently dying in her sleep, manager Mike Gardner said.
    "Teena was a black voice trapped in a white body," said Cathy Hughes, founder of Radio One, a broadcasting company that targets African-American and urban listeners. "I would always tell her that she was one of the greatest vocalists of our time."
    Among her songs were "Lovergirl," "Portuguese Love," "Ooo La La La," and "I'm a Sucker for Your Love."
    While no cause of death has been released, the singer's publicist Lynn Jeter said that Marie suffered a grand mal seizure -- a neurological event, marked by loss of consciousness and violent muscle contractions, according to the Mayo Clinic -- a month ago.
    "Luckily, someone was there," Jeter said of that seizure. "The ambulance took her to the hospital, and on the way she had another seizure."
    The publicist said that she had a "great" conversation on Saturday with Marie, who told her that she was excited about heading to Atlanta to perform this week -- in what would have been her first performance since the seizure.
    Marie sang under various record labels, including Motown, Epic and Cash Money Classics, since bursting on the scene as a 19-year-old, according to her website. Her most recent album, Sapphire, features collaborations with Smokey Robinson, Kurupt and Gerald Albright.
    Eddie Levert, founder of the vocal group The O'Jays, praised Marie as both a singer and mother.
    "There are a lot of black people who swore by her and believed in her, as far as her music was concerned," he said. "She was a good mom, and to me, that is saying a lot.''

ive heard a lot about this today... but to tell you the truth ive never heard of her before...

never the less.. its still sad.. way too young..

Comment

^ i never heard of her either, im too young i think....RIP, 54 is too young

Comment

Damn what the hell. Too young. Damn man. She was an amazing singer. She did the vocals on the Snoop song Roots of Evil. She also did that tupac tribute - Makaveli never lied.
        Rest in peace Lady T.
        Death Row Records Samples List

Comment

I never heard of her but, but it always sucks to learn about someone passing. Especially so young.

"And clown rappers I'm bound to slay"

Comment

she is a legend, most notably known for her song with rick james, fire and desire.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm1ibHUyJjA]YouTube - Rick James & Teeena Marie Fire & Desire[/ame]

and here they r singing it out of tune on the bet awards, lol. Man, everybody is droppin like fly's, what ever happened to the good ole days?

BET Awards '04 | Moments | Teena Marie & Rick James Performance | Videos | BET.com Video

Comment

her first album at motown with collaborations of rick james is classic, and evrybody remember "Fu-ge-la" that sampled her " Oh-la-la "song...

54 is very young to die .. RIP lady T
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hobomotel
                She also did that tupac tribute - Makaveli never lied.
                Rest in peace Lady T.
                Correct, unfortunately that's the only thing i know about her. Rest in peace.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqKlqsmv8I[/ame]

Comment

I have never heard of her
                  it's sad and 54 is too young
                  Rest In Peace
                  My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
                  Vinyls: 60
                  Cassettes: 110
                  CDs: 216

Comment

Seems like the last 2 weeks of the end of the year, another big named celebrity dies. Brittany Murphy died last December and now Teena Marie. It is quite sad. I was a big fan of her music. My mom hated her guts though lol.

RIP

Comment

yea I heard of her in fact i have one of her records its eerie because she is still young she hasn't even reached 60 yet this is crazy. My mom likes her and she was stunned with hearing the news I feel sad for the family I hope they will be able to maintain especially her kids

Comment

Well, Teena Marie was a legend in her own right. Definitely impressive that she was a breakthrough white artist, especially in black artist-dominated Motown. Music has lost a giant.
                        [Today 12:37 PM] RaRa Outlaw: Vance Cuddlesworth!

Comment

foul, never heard of her either but if shes the reason fugeela came out then that sucks that shes gone she obviously was an inspiraton to people

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                          Working...
                          X