Rap just isn't what it used to be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rap just isn't what it used to be...

Back in the glory days of rap we had Pac, Big, Bone, Cube, Naughty, Dre, Snoop, Dogg Pound, Nas, Jay, etc, etc, etc. Nowadays, we've got Lil Wayne? Lil B? Big Sean? Waka Flocka? Soulja Boy? Don't get me wrong there are some good rappers out there but it's a far cry from what it used to be. Who's with me?

im with ya. i cant stand any music made today. all garbage.

Comment

i mis the 90's lol
      sigpic

Comment

i'm tired of comparing music styles. that is stupid imo because every generation likes different things. if the album is hot, its hot, doesnt matter when it was recorded, i'll listen to it and enjoy it

you fuckin gringos

Comment

I'm lucky if I find a new rap song I like once every five years or so. I stick to the 90s. I'm only 28 years old and already turning into the old man bitching about the music kids listen to. *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by StricktlyMakaveli View Post
            Back in the glory days of rap we had Pac, Big, Bone, Cube, Naughty, Dre, Snoop, Dogg Pound, Nas, Jay, etc, etc, etc. Nowadays, we've got Lil Wayne? Lil B? Big Sean? Waka Flocka? Soulja Boy? Don't get me wrong there are some good rappers out there but it's a far cry from what it used to be. Who's with me?
            Well, when you're comparing some of the (arguably) greatest rappers of their time to some of the worst rappers of the next generation...

What saddens me is that some people here always resort to those guys as being the posterboys of hiphop when there have been so many great rap albums that have come out in the last decade. The Blueprint? Stillmatic? The College Dropout? The Cool?

Obviously alot of due to nostalgia. You don't see people bringing up Vanilla Ice or No Limit Records when talking about the 90s unless they crackin jokes.
            A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
            & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
            & getting the benefits that go along with it
            Everythin that's out here for kings like us
            The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
            They don't understand is because we really from Africa
            & that's where all this stuff come from
            & we originated from kings

Comment

My homie Esco said it right

And oh yeah,fuck lil wayne(k).
              I believe in ALLAH,so as long as I do(and that's as long as am alive),NOTHING shall break me.

Comment

Most of what is played on the radio is complete shit, but there are a few artists making decent music. Atmosphere, for example, just released another dope album this year.

Comment

I'm with ya. And most other people I complain about this to just say "its just because its not our generation anymore, our parents went through the same thing with '70's and '80's music, when rap hit the scene in the '90's they thought it was complete garbage"

Honestly, I think its not only music but also movies that have taken a big shit since 2000. DEFINITELY, a sign of the times.... nothing has that good old "genuine" feel anymore. Even the new bone and snoop sound like shit, trying to have a new vibe feel just sucks ass...

Comment

^ u nailed it right on the head. Entertainment in general doesnt feel genuine anymore. Everything from tv shows to music and movies!! Compared to music and tv, movies are still okay but not what they used to be even 4-5 years ago. I think part of it has to do with the fact everything is marketed towards the younger demographic, u always here "this is a business" but now its blatantly in your face......music videos are basically commercials enhancing a singers brand, e.g. lady gaga(eventhough she is one of the few talented singers out there), then u got little kids like bieber and willow smith! I remember it was such a big deal when aaliyah and monica were famous for being 15 year old singers now it seems like that is the average age, smh!!

Comment

Why did you pick out some of the worst rappers in the game, excluding Wayne? Change the channel/station if you don't like the artists. No one is making you listen. If you're going to bring up rappers of this generation, bring up the ones moving the game forward: J. Cole, Drake, Wale, Kendrick Lamar, Game, B.o.B, Lupe Fiasco, Pusha T. They need time to find themselves before you compare them to rappers who became legends over a few albums.

MIXTAPE DISCOGRAPHY:
                      http://www.2pac-forum.com/showthread...92711&p=676617

Comment

i cant really get into modern rap either...there are SOME ok tracks imo...i turn to the underground stuff...there are a lot of really good rappers out there that just cant get on the radio, they are harder to find but worth it

Blaze Ya Dead Homie

Twiztid

Tech N9ne (Lyrics really fit the topic of this thread to the T)

Jadakiss (Not really underground but underrated)

I could list more...

There are still rappers making good music...ya just gotta dig for it these days
                        Last edited by subnoizesoldier; 07-10-2011, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Def Jux has been putting the best artists out since the 90s. From El-P to Aesop and Murs. Tech, Slug, Jay Electronica, Busta has been putting out great music for a long time also. Cory gunz has the sickest flow right now period. Its not that rappers have gone to shit... the industry has, there are still plenty of rappers putting quality out independently.

Originally posted by Ruckus
                          Seriously though...Nobody can be compaired to Pac..People might say Game or some shit but the truth..The Game is wack as fuck.
                          Want to see some Daaaaank Buds??
                          Want to download All the Pac songs DJ Screw has mixed

Comment

hope Game's new album would be dope ...
                            sigpic

Comment

Hope Game's new album gonna be dope...
                              sigpic

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X