Present Day Rap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Present Day Rap

How many of y'all listen to rap like currently. Do any of u keep up with with new releases or are u just down with pac and classic 90s shit

My main stuff is almost anything pre 2000 lol no joke i was raised on classic country, rock, was always pulled mainly to Pac when it came to rap, of course getting older i started listening to other rap artist starting with fellow DR artist such as DPG, Snoop Dogg, and then followed by Biggie, there are some i like today but its not much lol.
    Love.

Comment

I'm into all eras of hip hop. Right now, the newer rappers I listen to are Kendrick Lamar, Big KRIT, ASAP Rocky, Currensy, Drake, Dom Kennedy, Schoolboy Q, Pac Div and Jay Rock.

MIXTAPE DISCOGRAPHY:
      http://www.2pac-forum.com/showthread...92711&p=676617

Comment

Some stuff i recently played

sigpic

Comment

I listen to current day rap but not the too mainstream one, i mainly like the underground scene.

Comment

i tend to listen to 90s rap, but i listen to new stuff that catches my attention here and there

we should get a 'new music' thread rolling again
            F-N-F
            THE REMIX KING
            / Certified Music Critic

Comment

all 6s and 7s by Tech n9ne is good album...people shouldn't sleep theres good new music, and 2011 was good compared to 2k10, 2k09, etc.
              here are my favorite joints from the album

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I mean I keep up with it and I liked all 6s and 7s I was just wondering of anyone else on the fourm did cause it just doesn't seem like people did. U know what I mean?

Comment

Some background, I was born in 1982, I started listening to some of the more mainstream rap in the late 80's, by 1992 I was getting to be old enough to start to have a bit more of an opinion on music, but it really wasn't until 1994 that I formed a concrete preference in my musical tastes. With that said, I grew up listening to 90's Rap as it happened, I watched the East Coast/West Coast war first hand, I watched/listened to how the South attempted to take things over, and how New York had arguably the most exciting battle for the king of New York ever with DMX/Jay-Z/Ja Rule/Nas during the year 2000. I watched as the mold was broken as a white kid from Detroit burst on the scene and completely shook rap to it's core. I watched as Rap went from being a niche market to the most played/requested form of music on Top 40 radio, and I've watched as it's success lead to it's over abundance of 2nd rate current generation artists... Lil Wayne, Drake, Flo Ridah, etc etc.

With all of that said... I think that the mid 90's were the pinnacle of "Real" rap music. The industry was changing, the production was funky and new, every coast had it's own sound and no one was trying to emulate anyone else yet. Drama was real, people had something real to say, and Rap music was exciting and worth talking about. HOWEVER... looking back now, I think that when everything is said an done, the years 1999 through early 2003 were/are what I consider the best time to be a rap fan. The 90's G-funk gave birth to a plethora of new and exciting styles, and there were just so many good albums/artists putting out material that it's too hard to ignore. The 90's were all about masterpieces, but they came years apart.. From 99-2003, we got high quality albums on the regular. Consider this...

Eminem: The Slim Shady LP
                  Dr Dre: Chronic 2001
                  Kurupt: The Streetz iz a Mutha
                  DPG: Dillinger & Young Gotti
                  2pac: Still I Rise
                  DMX: And then there was X...
                  Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP
                  Outkast: Stankonia
                  LudaCris: Back for the First Time
                  Xzibit: The Restless LP
                  Ja Rule: Pain is Love
                  Dogg Pound: 2002
                  DMX: The Great Depression
                  2Pac: Until the end of time
                  Jay-Z: The Blue Print
                  Nas: Stillmatic
                  Eminem: The Eminem Show
                  Jay-Z: The Blue Print 2
                  Nas: God's Son
                  50 Cent: Get Rich or Die Trying

All were released during this time... these are just the BIG hit albums from the top of my head. I'm sure we could all name another 50 albums easily. Since 2003 now, think about how many really good quality albums have been released... None from 50 Cent... None from 2pac... Nothing from Dre... Jay Z has had a hit or 2, Ja Rule has only officially released 1 album... DMX hasn't had anything worth mentioning... Xzibit is all but gone... Nas hasn't done anything nearly as special as Stillmatic or God's Son though has at least dropped a few albums... Honestly, Rap is and has been in shambles for years. So it's hard to even want to listen to any current artists, and all the harder when you consider what some of us (me) grew up with in terms of quality.

With all of that said, there are a few younger artists I enjoy.. J. Cole being the most recent and I also like Wiz Khalifa. But in all honesty these past few years I've gone back to my stand outs from my younger years. All the 2pac Leaks kept me busy for nearly a full year bumping those from the 2010-2011 season, and I've been busy piecing together my own Comprehensive Ja Rule archive of all known material (about 90% of which I've shared with this forum) and have listened to that for many months now. In between those 2 artists I've had the new stuff from Eminem J.Cole and Wiz Khalifa, Material from one of my favorite true artists in Kevin Rudolfs 2 albums, some of my various R N B favorites from Craig Davids catalog, and then of course the radio every now and then. So no, I really don't get into the current generation of rappers much, but that's more because of the lack of quality artists and albums rather then an intentional effort on my part to avoid rap.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal-N-Felony View Post

we should get a 'new music' thread rolling again
                    Totally agree with this dude, moderators can we let this happen.

Everyone post the latest stuff thats good to you
                    Love.

Comment

lol .. for me .. no such thing as present day rap ...

Comment

This song is dope as hell.

Nikki probably one of the best female rappers

Love.

Comment

Xzibit aint gone he is still there making good music.
                          Last edited by Vinnie P; 01-04-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
                            lol .. for me .. no such thing as present day rap ...
                            What do u consider it then?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              This song is dope as hell.

Nikki probably one of the best female rappers

This song isn't bad... I'd even be inclined to agree with you that it is pretty good, however there's only 1 reason Nikki Minaj has blown up the way she has... It's not because of her lyrics or flow... it's because of this...

Nikki isn't the worst thing to happen to rap, but you can't deny that she's annoying as shit on most tracks, and her "raps" remind me of a stuttering schizophrenic patient. If Nicki Looked like this...

then I guarantee she wouldn't be nearly as popular or successful. Personally... I can't stand her and I consider her as much a problem with current rap as I do Flo Ridah, and everyone else I complain about.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X