Michael Jackson Songs Stolen By Hackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Jackson Songs Stolen By Hackers

Songs from Michael Jackson's back catalogue have been stolen by internet hackers in a second major breach of security at Sony, it has emerged.

Sony Music, which owns the rights to Jackson's songs, has admitted to Sky News Online that files were stolen but would not confirm how many tracks or what material was taken.

They said the vulnerability in the system which allowed the hackers to obtain material has been fixed.

Spokesperson for Sony Music Entertainment, Liz Young, told Sky News Online: "We confirmed the breach last May and immediately took steps to secure the site and notify authorities.

"As a result, the two suspects were arrested. There was no consumer data involved in the incident."

It follows a breach on the company's security in April 2011 when hackers stole details of more than 77m gamers on the Sony PlayStation Network. It cost Sony £106m.

The attack on Jackson's files happened shortly afterwards but has not been revealed until now.

In 2010, Sony Music acquired the seven-year rights to Jackson's songs following his death.

A posthumous album called Michael was released later that year.

The singer, who died in 2009, recorded unreleased duets with artists such as the late Freddie Mercury and Black Eyed Peas singer Will.i.a.m.

The work of other Sony artists could also have been affected by the online breach, including The Foo Fighters, Avril Lavigne and Jimi Hendrix.

The hack has been traced back to the UK and two men appeared in court last week in regard to the theft.

Both men denied the charges and were allowed bail. They were arrested last May and are due to stand trial in January 2013.

http://news.sky.com/home/showbiz-news/article/16182775

yea red about this on the net aswell yesterday.

Really a shame, and garbage for the legacy. But sometimes I think, damn why this didnt happen with amaru? lol.

Comment

i read about this yesterday.... rule number one... keep songs off hard drives that have an internet connection... i can see why they wanna upload them on to computers n sht... but keep them away from a fcking ethernet / wireless connection... lol... simple fix..

idiots...

Comment

just keep them on a removable hardrive and store + lock it away can't be that hard & hey wouldn't it be clever to employ the people who hacked their site for the songs so they could help prevent this kinda thing from happening!

Comment

They claim to have fixed it but watch it happen again. It's not hard to understand anything with a net connection could be hacked.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X