Napster founder Sean Parker: 'Spotify will overtake iTunes in two years'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napster founder Sean Parker: 'Spotify will overtake iTunes in two years'

Napster founder Sean Parker has claimed that Spotify will overtake iTunes in two years.

Parker, who was also an early investor in Facebook and has invested a reported $15 million in the streaming service, told a conference at SXSW that the company is capable of making more revenue for record companies than Apple.

According to VH1, he said: If Spotify continues growing at its current rate in terms of subscribers and users, we will overtake iTunes in terms of the amount of revenue we contribute to the music labels in under two years.
    Parker, who was portrayed by Justin Timberlake in the 2010 Facebook flick The Social Network, also criticised the service provided by the iTunes store, adding: "The iTunes store, to this day, is so slow. I'm amazed."

Spotify's influence on the music industry continues to grow. Earlier this week (March 14), it was reported that Billboard magazine's Hot 100 chart will now use stats from sites including Spotify and Rhapsody to compile its chart placings, as well as download sales and radio play. The Official Charts Company, however, have said it has "no immediate plans" to include data from streaming services in the UK Singles Chart.

Last month (February 2), Spotify CEO and founder Daniel Ek claimed that it was helping the music business enter a "golden age" as people who share music online are more likely to buy more tracks and albums, and insisted that there was "not a shred of evidence" to suggest that musicians could boost their sales figures by not being on the service.

However, figures such as U2's manager Paul McGuinness have criticised the service in the past by claiming that artists are reluctant to embrace Spotify as they are unable to see its "financial benefit" and don't view it as a legitimate business model.

hard to say itunes is pretty big for some people but if it does dude is gonna be super rich lol

Comment

I just hate that I have to pay to use it on my phone. But I guess they have to make money someway

Comment

I already use Spotify more than itunes, so there's some truth to his statement.
        A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
        & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
        & getting the benefits that go along with it
        Everythin that's out here for kings like us
        The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
        They don't understand is because we really from Africa
        & that's where all this stuff come from
        & we originated from kings

Comment

fuck itunes, i prefer buying albums in physical form. Never bought digital.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X