A$AP Rocky Says Underground Hip Hop Influenced "1 Train"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A$AP Rocky Says Underground Hip Hop Influenced "1 Train"

When the final tracklist for A$AP Rocky's anticipated debut LongLiveA$AP first came out, one track that had fans excited was the monster collaborative cut "1 Train." Now, in a recent interview with NBC's The Grio via Xclusives Zone, the Harlem upstart discusses the cipher-style song.

A$AP Rocky explained that he wanted to hearken back to the '90s underground era with the eight-man song. He added that he believes the seven artists he selected to jump on the song - Kendrick Lamar, Action Bronson, Yelawolf, Danny Brown, Big K.R.I.T. and Joey Bada$$ - are some of the best lyricists of the new generation in Hip Hop.

"I really wanted to take it back to the essence of the '90s; it was the generation of the underground," he explained. "Even though I have a lot of mainstream appeal, I come from the underground, and I just wanted to give back to that. That's why I was really strategic on who I picked to be in the line-up…with Joey Bada$$ and Action Bronson and Danny Brown, they're from the underground. Yelawolf, he's really underrated if you ask me. I think he's one of the best lyricists of our day. I feel like everybody on that track has a value in our generation."
    Source

Not surprising, best song on the album too.
    A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
    & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
    & getting the benefits that go along with it
    Everythin that's out here for kings like us
    The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
    They don't understand is because we really from Africa
    & that's where all this stuff come from
    & we originated from kings

Comment

love this song except wack Kendricks verse
      BRAND NEW MIXTAPE "WELCOME 2 AFTERMATH" ALREADY ON DATPIFF CHECK IT OUT DOPE REMIXES FEAT. DR. DRE KING TEE ICE CUBE NUTT-SO DANNY BOY THA DOGG POUND K-CI & JOJO BIG SYKE SPICE 1 OUTLAWZ

Comment

Big Krits verse is a beast on the song

Comment

This track is off the chain. These are the best rappers in the game right now, only dude missing is freddie gibbs. I think they should create a rap super group. Seriously how can people sleep on these dude, they just put to shame all those wack labels and all those wack rappers pretending they run it.

Comment

Originally posted by H.O.V.A. View Post
            Not surprising, best song on the album too.
            Agreed, IMO the album is hyped up too much. Don't get me wrong, it's very solid however I wasn't blown away by it

Comment

Originally posted by BayAreasFinest View Post
              Agreed, IMO the album is hyped up too much. Don't get me wrong, it's very solid however I wasn't blown away by it
              Nah, it's true. It's a very solid debut but it's not as consistent as his mixtape.

I still preordered tho haha. I'm tryna hear that itunes-exclusive track :P
              A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
              & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
              & getting the benefits that go along with it
              Everythin that's out here for kings like us
              The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
              They don't understand is because we really from Africa
              & that's where all this stuff come from
              & we originated from kings

Comment

Originally posted by HazeSilver View Post
                only dude missing is freddie gibbs.
                how about J. Cole & Meek Mill?
                BRAND NEW MIXTAPE "WELCOME 2 AFTERMATH" ALREADY ON DATPIFF CHECK IT OUT DOPE REMIXES FEAT. DR. DRE KING TEE ICE CUBE NUTT-SO DANNY BOY THA DOGG POUND K-CI & JOJO BIG SYKE SPICE 1 OUTLAWZ

Comment

I like some of the tracks on his upcoming album, but damn, his swaggin shit annoys me, am I the only one? I couldn't even watch the whole Long Live Asap music video, it's so lame.
                  www.youtube.com/user/LilProphetMusic
                  www.reverbnation.com/LilProphetMusic
                  www.facebook.com/LilProphet
                  www.twitter.com/LilProphetMusic

Comment

Not really a fan of Asap

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Lion View Post
                      how about J. Cole & Meek Mill?
                      J.Cole is good too but i dont care about meek mill

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Lion View Post
                        love this song except wack Kendricks verse

what what WHAT?!?!

Lol, serious man?

I Know Death Follows Me
                        But
                        I'll Murder Him First

Comment

Originally posted by BayAreasFinest View Post

I tried to go into listening to it not thinking of his first mixtape at all. Like comparing it to the other one. This album is an aquired taste. I didn't like it sooo much at first, the sound is not what I'd expect from Asap Rocky but after listening to it its starting to grow on me. Even that track with Skrillex..and I fucking hate Skrillex.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruckus View Post
                            I tried to go into listening to it not thinking of his first mixtape at all. Like comparing it to the other one. This album is an aquired taste. I didn't like it sooo much at first, the sound is not what I'd expect from Asap Rocky but after listening to it its starting to grow on me. Even that track with Skrillex..and I fucking hate Skrillex.
                            I'm a rocky fan but I think I overhyped it myself, kinda of like I did with Kendrick's label debut. I've played it a few times since and it's grown more on me, however I thought this was going to be a real contender for album of the year, it's not; good solid album though

Comment

Originally posted by ThaRealMasterC View Post
                              what what WHAT?!?!

Lol, serious man?
                              yes
                              how yall can listen to

"TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA [high pitched voice] TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA TA-TA-TA"
                              so stupid flow

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X