Was Big Pun better than Biggie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Big Pun better than Biggie?

I'm wondering what you guys think about Big Pun being better than Biggie. Biggie was a great lyricist and story teller, but after listening to Pun over the years he had some crazy original bars in his songs plus his flow was always nice. Biggie and Pun have pretty much the same resume so who would you choose? Biggie made Puffy hot and Pun made Fat Joe hot. They both died young and were only around for a couple of years. The similarities between them are nuts so I feel like this is a fair comparison/argument. If I had to choose two tracks to face off against each other it would be notorious thugs since biggie gave bone thugs a run for their money and dream shatterer since pun's lyrics were insane on that joint. Thoughts?

Pun > Biggie

Comment

big pun got that puerto rican-american or should i say carribean/latin flavor, because of his mates from Caribbean Connection and Full-A-Clips called Triple Seis dominican-american and Cuban-Link Cuba. complete different to biggies flavor. RIP
      collection: http://www.2pac-forum.com/showthread...439&highlight=

Comment

Yea I pick big pun over biggie as well

Comment

I'm glad people agree because I have always thought Biggie was very overrated. I never thought Biggie's songs were all that good, but he did shine on certain tracks like notorious thugs as an example. Big Pun is definitely the king of New York not Biggie.

Comment

i think biggie, i like is i dont give a fuck style, his background story is better in my favour, pun is cool. and ye biggie is just the king of NY coze ppl cant stand that pac is king of rap
            He was a nice middle class nigga
            But nobody knew the evil he'd do When he got a little bigger
            Shorty Wanna Be A Thug - Tupac

Comment

Comment

Big Pun was more of a gangster than Biggie was who just pretended to be a gangster to sell records. Did Biggie really sell drugs? Maybe, maybe not. Big Pun was known to carry guns with him and was born from more of a struggle growing up than Biggie was. I've come to recognize that a lot of the stories about Biggie were sensationalized by Puffy and Bad Boy records to sell albums and make money. I think Biggie was more fake than real. Good rapper, but he wasn't what he pretended to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative Mind View Post
                  Big Pun was more of a gangster than Biggie was who just pretended to be a gangster to sell records. Did Biggie really sell drugs? Maybe, maybe not. Big Pun was known to carry guns with him and was born from more of a struggle growing up than Biggie was. I've come to recognize that a lot of the stories about Biggie were sensationalized by Puffy and Bad Boy records to sell albums and make money. I think Biggie was more fake than real. Good rapper, but he wasn't what he pretended to be.
                  That's pretty much what 2Pac was too.

And Ready To Die is pretty much amongst the greatest hip hop albums in history, point to me a Big Pun album better than Ready to Die.

Of course it's all subjective, but some opinions are more well regarded than others, Ready To Die never ceases to amaze Hip-hop fans all over.

Comment

so does that make him a better artist or does this make him more real?
                    idk, somehow biggie and pun can be compared pretty good but on the other hand they also differ a lot
                    dont know who to pick
                    i agree that biggie is kind of overrated, but he def. was 1 of the best and so was pun (not overrated but 1 of the best, mad flow etc.)
                    pun was a beast, biggie was biggie, hard picking a "better one"

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9066841/rakim_on_tha_mic/

Comment

Originally posted by JackV View Post
                      That's pretty much what 2Pac was too.

And Ready To Die is pretty much amongst the greatest hip hop albums in history, point to me a Big Pun album better than Ready to Die.

Of course it's all subjective, but some opinions are more well regarded than others, Ready To Die never ceases to amaze Hip-hop fans all over.
                      When Capital Punishment dropped everyone was feeling it like when Ready To Die dropped. Capital Punishment can definitely rival Ready To Die, but not in terms of record sales. Record sales don't determine the better artist because look at Lil Wayne. If record sales determined the better artist then Lil Wayne would be the better rapper over Biggie and Pun right now but we know that's not true. I can listen to the entire Capital Punishment album without skipping a track, but I have a hard time listening to Ready To Die all the way through. This may not be fair to Biggie, but Biggie copied a lot of what Tupac did and used it in his own way to capitalize on his sales. Listen to Party & Bullshit then listen to Ready To Die. Biggie saw what Tupac was doing and how he was making money and used his methods. Someone posted a live version of Biggie doing Juicy live using a Tupac beat. That's just a slither of evidence. Fat Joe used Pun's skills because he was already so naturally good and exploited his skills and I never heard of Pun biting off another artist like Biggie did to Tupac. I know I'll get some blowback from saying Biggie was biting Tupac but it's the truth. Pun was inspired by artists but never stole or bit an artist. Pun was always Pun. I like Biggie, but to me he's not the king of new york and I think he's overrated, but that's just my opinion. I think I wrote too much! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ T.O.B View Post
                        so does that make him a better artist or does this make him more real?
                        idk, somehow biggie and pun can be compared pretty good but on the other hand they also differ a lot
                        dont know who to pick
                        i agree that biggie is kind of overrated, but he def. was 1 of the best and so was pun (not overrated but 1 of the best, mad flow etc.)
                        pun was a beast, biggie was biggie, hard picking a "better one"
                        I was just using the gangster image between Pun and Biggie as an example because Biggie claimed to be a mafioso type of rapper when he really wasn't. His card was pulled by E-40 in Cali after he dissed him in the Canadian magazine and all Biggie could do was sit in a car at the mercy of real gang bangers who wanted to kill him. A phone conversation saved his life with E-40 and after that Biggie started kissing E-40's ass saying he was the man and what not. I'm not advocating street violence and I'm not a fan of it. I was just doing an analysis. I don't believe in walking around with guns for no reason at all, but it's what Pun did so I can't knock him for it. He probably had his reasons for doing so. Biggie came out with Who Shot Ya where he's talking about smoking people yet he never did the shit Pun did. It's just fake to me. If you say something you have to mean it. I've never claimed to be a gangster because I'm not a gangster. I won't claim something I know is not true.

Comment

lol silly question to ask man, im a big fan of pun. But biggie is definitely the better MC

Comment

When Capital Punishment dropped everyone was feeling it like when Ready To Die dropped. Capital Punishment can definitely rival Ready To Die.
                            i think you mistyped that, thats an absurd statement to make lol

Comment

If you take out the commercial value and what the tv tells you what to think, you'll see lyrically Pun tops biggie.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X