Ice Cube Praises Eminem’s “Rap God”: “Lyrics Still Rule The Day”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cube Praises Eminem’s “Rap God”: “Lyrics Still Rule The Day”

The lyrical hurricane that is Eminem’s “Rap God” included a slew of name-checks and homages, from Rakim to Pharoahe Monch to JJ Fad and NWA. It was that last shoutout—”Me, I’m a product of Rakim, Lakim Shabazz, 2Pac NWA / Cube, Hey Doc, Ren Yella, Eazy, thank you, they got Slim / Inspired enough to one day grow up, blow up and be in a position / To meet Run DMC, and induct them into the motherfuckin’ / Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame”—that prompted XXL to hop on the phone with Ice Cube to talk about being shouted out on the track.

“Em has always showed love and showed respect to NWA, and when you do that you go a long way,” Cube said while in Boston on a promo tour for his new Kevin Hart movie Ride Along. “If I did a song [like that], I’d be shouting out people like Ice T, Chuck D, Melle Mel, the ones that came before me who were spitting that truth. Those were the ones that inspired me. It’s just showing love and respect, and that’s why he’s been on top for the longest.”

Cube mentioned he’s been going through the Marshall Mathers LP 2 song by song, and praised “Rap God” specifically for its lyrical display. “That song is lyrically incredible,” he said. “And thank God, you know. Lyrics still rule the day. No matter how commercialized hip-hop tries to get, or how commercialized people’s vision of hip-hop and b-boys and rappers are, lyrics still rule the day… [Eminem] always delivers, he always gives quality. He’s gonna be around for a long, long time because of that, because he’s a true b-boy. He ain’t no dude that’s just in it for the fringe benefits, he’s in it for the respect.”

It’s been a while since Cube’s last album—2010′s I Am The West is his last full-length solo project—but he’s been keeping busy with RIde Along and is working on 22 Jump Street, the sequel to 21 Jump Street alongside Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. After he wraps on that, he’ll be turning his attention to a new NWA film helmed by F. Gary Grey. Having been around with NWA since the 1980s, Cube has seen a lot change in the hip-hop world.

“What’s changed to me is the culture as far as behind the scenes,” he said. “When I got into it, it was veterans behind the scenes—it was Red-Alert, it was Fab Five Freddy, it was Chuck Chillout—people who pioneered the game. Now all we got behind the scenes is college kids who are basically hyper fans who are basically telling people what’s hot, what’s not. It seems like a Fantasy Football league more than what I grew up knowing.”
    Source
    Last edited by Vinnie P; 11-08-2013, 10:02 PM.

[MENTION=327]Freddie G

u made duplicate thread.. I merged em and deleted post ... didn't want to delete thread

Comment

[MENTION=7784]Omar thanks!

Comment

Hmm.. This article makes me want to listen to eminens album.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
          Hmm.. This article makes me want to listen to eminens album.
          haha. you can start with his early shit. My favorite album is the eminem show, you could start by that if you don't want any slim shady.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie G View Post
            haha. you can start with his early shit. My favorite album is the eminem show, you could start by that if you don't want any slim shady.
            im not an Eminem noob ... I heard his early shit .. Its dope ... the only thing is.. I been listenin to hip hop since doggystyle and too used to that style of rap ...

its unfair on Em but I never took him seriously... but his talent is undeniable and his rhymes r great.. I cant take that from him

Comment

dope interview a cube and em track would be the shit
              sigpic

Comment

i must say that MMLP2 is Eminems best album.

Comment

im not an Eminem noob ... I heard his early shit .. Its dope ... the only thing is.. I been listenin to hip hop since doggystyle and too used to that style of rap ...

its unfair on Em but I never took him seriously... but his talent is undeniable and his rhymes r great.. I cant take that from him
                  listen to his new album or Ill karate kick you in your nutz ...it's amazing!!!

Originally posted by Jarek View Post
                  i must say that MMLP2 is Eminems best album.
                  I totally agree ...it's also my favorite Eminem album
                  My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
                  Vinyls: 60
                  Cassettes: 110
                  CDs: 216

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus View Post
                    listen to his new album or Ill karate kick you in your nutz ...it's amazing!!!

But Sensei !!! U teach us Karate only use in self defense ???!!!!!

Fine I'll check MMLP2 .. where can i get it

Comment

the thing is certain people like *cough* kill a hoe *cough* they don't take eminem seriously but when it's come time to get serious it gets pretty serious. Not only can he recorde a meaningful rap but he can also ends somebody's career.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie G View Post
                        the thing is certain people like *cough* kill a hoe *cough* they don't take eminem seriously but when it's come time to get serious it gets pretty serious. Not only can he recorde a meaningful rap but he can also ends somebody's career.

yeah i know what u sayin .. Eminem has dope rappin talent and rhyming skills ...

Comment

yeah i know what u sayin .. Eminem has dope rappin talent and rhyming skills ...
                          Atleast you give propz where it is due. but At the end of the day, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. like pac said you don't have to bump it but please respect it.

Comment

i used to be a huge eminem fan, but for years, i gave up on him, but his new album made me a fan again, however, it does contain several horrible tracks, here is my custom version

01. Bad Guy
                            02. Baby
                            03. Rhyme Or Reason
                            04. So Much Better
                            05. Desperation (Ft. Jamie-N-Commons)
                            06. Legacy
                            07. Asshole (Ft. Skylar Grey)
                            08. Ground Hog Day
                            09. Rap God
                            10. Brainless
                            11. Stronger Than I Was
                            12. The Monster (Ft. Rihanna)
                            13. Love Game (Ft. Kendrick Lamar)
                            14. Don't Front (Ft. Buckshot)
                            15. Headlights
                            16. Wicked Ways
                            17. Evil Twin
                            18. Beautiful Pain (Ft. Sia)

If the album was like that, it would be my favorite eminem album.

I Know Death Follows Me
                            But
                            I'll Murder Him First

Comment

Originally posted by Creation View Post
                              i used to be a huge eminem fan, but for years, i gave up on him, but his new album made me a fan again, however, it does contain several horrible tracks, here is my custom version

01. Bad Guy
                              02. Baby
                              03. Rhyme Or Reason
                              04. So Much Better
                              05. Desperation (Ft. Jamie-N-Commons)
                              06. Legacy
                              07. Asshole (Ft. Skylar Grey)
                              08. Ground Hog Day
                              09. Rap God
                              10. Brainless
                              11. Stronger Than I Was
                              12. The Monster (Ft. Rihanna)
                              13. Love Game (Ft. Kendrick Lamar)
                              14. Don't Front (Ft. Buckshot)
                              15. Headlights
                              16. Wicked Ways
                              17. Evil Twin
                              18. Beautiful Pain (Ft. Sia)

If the album was like that, it would be my favorite eminem album.
                              You know the reason Don't Front wasn't on the Bonus Disc was because they couldn't clear the sample in time.

Here's my version of the album

1.Bad Guy
                              2.Parking Lot (Skit)
                              3.Rhyme Or Reason
                              4.Desperation Ft. Jamie N Commons
                              5.Groundhog Day
                              6.Legacy
                              7.Asshole Ft. Skylar Grey
                              8.Berzerk
                              9.Rap God
                              10.Brainless
                              11.Stronger Than I was