Rick Rubin Explains Early Reactions To Being White In Rap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Rubin Explains Early Reactions To Being White In Rap

When Rick Rubin met with LL Cool J for the first time, LL couldn't believe his eyes, Rubin says.

"Both LL and Russell [Simmons] couldn't believe that I was White when I met them," Rubin says in a recent interview with satellite radio station Shade 45.

When Rubin met Russell Simmons, he received a similar response.

"I told [Simmons] I'd made this record," Rubin says. "He couldn't believe it. He was like, 'You made that? That's the Blackest record I've ever heard in my life. This was at a time when there was nobody White, at that time, in this world. It was interesting."

With Simmons, Rubin helped create Def Jam Recordings. During their run at Def Jam, the imprint's roster included LL Cool J, Run DMC and the Beastie Boys, among others.

This year, Rubin worked with several rappers, including Kanye West, Jay Z and Eminem.

In November, Rubin spoke regarding his work with Eminem during an interview.

"I would say that he is probably the most obsessive artist, maybe, that I have met in any genre," Rick Rubin says in an interview with complex.com. "He is very, very dedicated to his craft. To the point to where it seems like there is nothing else in his life. It truly is a 24-7 thing for him. One of the reasons that many artists make good records when they’re young and then as they grow up, maybe they’re not doing their best work anymore, is because—especially if you’re successful—other things in life take over. Whether it’s family life or just other interests. It just happens."
    Source

Always hated his producing sound, even though he just lies down on a couch while artist make song and his like, yeah that's cool! then shuts his eyes again until the songs over

Originally posted by Flintheart_Glomgold
    Calm down. This doesnt affect your life. Get over it. Its ancient history and the only thing thats certain is that you dont have all the facts. Even if you did, try to occupy your time with something more wholesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Klockwork View Post
      Always hated his producing sound, even though he just lies down on a couch while artist make song and his like, yeah that's cool! then shuts his eyes again until the songs over

his production on johnny cash's albums is amazing though. i understand what you mean about his sound, that is only present on his hip hop production.

I Know Death Follows Me
      But
      I'll Murder Him First

Comment

Originally posted by Creation View Post
        his production on johnny cash's albums is amazing though. i understand what you mean about his sound, that is only present on his hip hop production.
        Wouldn't know I don't listen to Country Music

Calm down. This doesnt affect your life. Get over it. Its ancient history and the only thing thats certain is that you dont have all the facts. Even if you did, try to occupy your time with something more wholesome.

Comment

Oldest man in the rap game? Hahaha

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk

Comment

Wouldn't know I don't listen to Country Music

^^ thats an example of his other style

I Know Death Follows Me
            But
            I'll Murder Him First

Comment

Originally posted by Creation View Post

^^ thats an example of his other style
              Who's style, Cash or Rubin lol. Song is nice. Wonder if anyones ever sampled it, that could be a pretty dope song to sample

Comment

Who's style, Cash or Rubin lol. Song is nice. Wonder if anyones ever sampled it, that could be a pretty dope song to sample

rubin's style, he adapted the cash brilliantly, however his hip hop stuff seems to be repeats of 99 problems

I Know Death Follows Me
                But
                I'll Murder Him First

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X