Martin Shkreli wants to be the sole owner of Kanye West's new album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Shkreli wants to be the sole owner of Kanye West's new album

Martin Shkreli already bought Wu-Tang Clan's most recent album and kept it all to himself, and now he's trying to do the same with Kanye West's The Life of Pablo.

The pharmaceutical exec posted a letter addressed to West on his Twitter account Thursday "in hopes of convincing you to withhold the release of your forthcoming album." He sent out the request just minutes after West began debuting the album via a live stream of a listening session at New York's Madison Square Garden.

In the letter, Shkreli goes on to propose that "instead of releasing this product for your millions of fans, I ask you to sell this recording solely to me, for the price of $10,000,000." He wrote: "I believe you (and your partners) will find this financial arrangement more attractive than your current course of action."

Although Shkreli was successful in acquiring Wu-Tang Clan's Once Upon a Time in Shaolin for $2 million, this situation's a bit different: The rap outfit had previously announced that they would only produce a single copy of their new album and sell it to the highest bidder, whereas West has never expressed such a plan -- in fact, anyone with an Internet connection could get a first listen of the entire album Thursday before its expected release Friday.

After posting the letter, Shkreli tweeted that "Kanye and his label are legally required to take my offer letter to their Board of Directors ... This should delay the album by a few days." (EW has reached out to legal counsel to assess the validity of his statement.)

Shkreli first gained infamy in 2015 when his company, Turing Pharmaceutical, drastically raised the price of a drug used to treat a parasitic disease that frequently strikes AIDS patients. He later was arrested on charges of security fraud (unrelated to the price hikes) in December.

West's team did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face...." Mike Tyson

dude is a troll

Comment

Didn't he get robbed I'm sure it's on the news today
      Letz be friendz

Comment

Originally posted by 122 View Post
        Didn't he get robbed I'm sure it's on the news today
        Get out your tiny violins. Martin Shkreli, the man America loves to hate, appears to have lost $15 million in bitcoins after he tried to buy the rights to Kanye West’s new album.

Comment

i swear hes lying about getting jacked
          "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face...." Mike Tyson

Comment

The album can supposedly be bought from kanyewest.com. I can't get past the fucking stupid message there so Ye will have to live without my money.

Comment

It's like this idiot wants to find more and more reasons for people to hate him.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
              Working...
              X