Gene Simmons: “Rap Will Die”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Simmons: “Rap Will Die”

Gene Simmons, who has long been critical of Rap, has again dissed the genre.

"I am looking forward to the death of Rap,” the Kiss singer says during an interview with Rolling Stone. "I'm looking forward to music coming back to lyrics and melody, instead of just talking. A song, as far as I'm concerned, is by definition lyric and melody … or just melody."

In 2014, Simmons complained about the induction of Rap acts into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"You’ve got Grandmaster Flash in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?” the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member said at the time of 2007 inductees Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five. "Run-DMC in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? You’re killing me. That doesn’t mean those aren’t good artists. But they don’t play guitar. They sample and they talk. Not even sing.”

In the new interview with Rolling Stone, Simmons also predicts the end of Rap.

"Rap will die," he says. "Next year, 10 years from now, at some point, and then something else will come along. And all that is good and healthy.

"I don't have the cultural background to appreciate being a gangster," Simmons adds elsewhere in the interview. "Of course that's not what it's all about, but that's where it comes from. That's the heart and soul of it. It came from the streets."

Gene Simmons: “Rap Will Die.” "I am looking forward to the death of Rap,” the Kiss singer says. Talib Kweli responds
    sigpic

he makes some good points actually.....

Comment

hip hop will die???

HIP HOP IS DEAD ALREADY!!!

there are only a handful of people nowadays who still make rap music, like back in the days. the rest is punks who sell their ass for fame and for the medias.

PARIS is the best rapper alive.

hip hop is already dead since years.

Comment

Hip hop went on life support in 98-99, then finally crossed over in 01-02.

~Rip Hip Hop~

Comment

Originally posted by soldier4death View Post
          Hip hop went on life support in 98-99, then finally crossed over in 01-02.

~Rip Hip Hop~
          there were some good albums just up until 2004. Not counting Loyal 2 The Game. But even Ja and 50 were putting out good albums around then. I even liked Mystikal but he fell off fast after being locked up lol

Comment

he is kind of right, rap may die not because its sucks but because it is evolving. There's a definitive differece between a track from let say 2004 and now. the sound, the production it self and of course the lyrics. It'll be something like Post Rap genre.

And i never understood why rap groups were inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, its like Ice cube is suppose to perform this summer at a rock fest. I dont get it.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X