This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Dre Files Lawsuit Against 'New' Death Row Records Over Royalties

Dr. Dre has reportedly filed a lawsuit against the successor's of Death Row Records over back royalties and the release of a new version of his classic album, The Chronic.

According to TMZ, the hip-hop superstar (real name: Andre Young) filed a lawsuit against WIDEawake Death Row Records and its parent companies recently, claiming he hasn't been paid for royalties on his multi-platinum smash, The Chronic, since he left the label in 1996.

Death Row Records eventually filed for bankruptcy, and co-founder Suge Knight was stripped of ownership.

But, it was eventually purchased by WIDEawake, who re-launched the label, and has since re-released material from the label's classic catalog.

In Dr. Dre's lawsuit, he claims his attorneys notified the new owners that he's owed royalties, but they've yet to respond.

He says WIDEawake released a new version of The Chronic titled Re-Lit, and a greatest hits collection, containing his recordings without his permission.

"When it came to paying artist royalties and honoring limits on Dr. Dre recordings that could be released, the 'new' Death Row Records, to quote our client, 'forgot about Dre'," Dre's attorney, Howard King, said in a statement. "This lawsuit will make sure they remember."

Dre is seeking unspecified damages of more than $75,000 for breach of contract, false advertising, trademark infringement and misappropriation of publicity.
    BallerStatus.com Dr. Dre Files Lawsuit Against ‘New’ Death Row Records Over Royalties

Just $75K? I would think the amount would have surely been more than that. At least a million. I thought WideAwake had negotiated with Dr. Dre already? I'm thinking not; seems like another fuck-up on their part. I'm disappointed at WideAwake, they should have known better but now it seems like they have inherited some of the old DeathRow's lazy business practices.
    Waterproofing my life with Flex Tape.

Comment

I hope we get that Pac CD before they go bankrupt. I wonder if they can afford to pay him. haha

Comment

Purchasing the DR catalog was an awful business decision. Especially when you have a cunt taking money from your company

Comment

closed

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X