Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazmine Sullivan Has “No Problem” W/ Lauryn Hill Comparisons, Speaks On Missy Elliott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazmine Sullivan Has “No Problem” W/ Lauryn Hill Comparisons, Speaks On Missy Elliott

With her single, “Need U Bad” burning up the radio SOHH chopped it up with up-and-coming soul singer, Jazmine Sullivan, to talk those pesky comparisons to Lauryn Hill, working with Missy Elliott and her debut album, Fearless.

Fearless will be hitting shelves this Tuesday (September 23rd) and Sullivan said the title represents her current state of mind.

“I named [my album] Fearless because that’s who I am right now,” she said. “I’m not afraid to be myself. I’m not afraid to take chances and step outside the box and be different.”

Jazmine didn’t always possess the confidence she’s demonstrating on her J Records debut. As a teenager, she signed to Jive Records but the label wasn’t quite sure what to do with her mature vocals and Jazmine didn’t know how to guide them.

“I was a lot younger with the Jive situation,” she explained. “You’re younger you don’t really know what’s going on. Now definitely I have so much more control. I wrote my whole album. I have executive producer credit on the album.”

Though she was behind most of the records on Fearless, Jazmine did tap her long-time mentor, Missy Elliot, to produce a few songs.

“I’ve known her since I was 13-14,” she said. “She’s really been like a mentor to me. You know just always there and always supporting and ready to lend her talents.”

One of the Jazmine/Missy collaborations was the reggae-tinged first single, “Need U Bad,” which instantly caused fans and critics to compare Jazmine to Grammy award-winning former Fugee, Lauryn Hill.

Jazmine says that comparison caught her off guard.

“I was a little surprised because I never got that comparison,” she said. “When I heard Lauryn it shocked me at first but then I had to kinda step back and think about it and said well you know what, the song does have the reggae vibe.”

“I got the comparison and of course I have no problem cause I’m such a big fan of hers,” said the 21-year-old songstress.

Jazmine is hoping that once the public hears more of the songs from Fearless, they’ll realize that she and Ms. Hill have two different styles. For now she’s focusing on releasing the video for her vengeful second single, “Bust Your Windows.”

“I felt like that was a subject that needed to be spoken about,” Jazmine explained. “It’s such real experience that I felt like I should tell that story. I ran into so many men and women who were like, ‘Oh my god we love that song because we’ve been through it,’ or definitely for women if they haven’t been through it they’ve wanted to do it.”

Fearless will hit stores on Tuesday, September 23rd.
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X