Shyne Dropped From Def Jam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shyne Dropped From Def Jam?

When Shyne was released from prison in 2009, there was a lot of buzz about where he'd pick up regarding his music career. After being deported to his native country of Belize, the rapper finally inked a deal with Def Jam the following year, for a reportedly seven-figure payday after an intense bidding war.

However, while releasing singles and preparing the release of his Gangland album, release dates have come and gone. Over the past several months, talk about the album has stopped.

What happened? In a recent interview with HipHopDX, producer Ken Lewis -- who worked with the rapper on his Godfather Buried Alive album -- revealed that Shyne has been dropped from the label.

He explains that while working on Shyne's comeback album, things stopped abruptly and he hasn't heard from him since.

"I mixed 18 songs for the upcoming album and produced two, but he got dropped from Def Jam [Records], and I haven't heard from him since," Lewis says.

"That may not be common knowledge. (laughs) That might get me in trouble. His release date was splattered as May 17 all over the world, but the day came and went, and I never heard from Shyne again. I don't really know what happened to him, I just know that as far as I'm concerned, I'm not a part of that record anymore."

Earlier this year, Shyne dropped a new single, titled "King David," a bouncy club track that got attention for its release, but didn't go very far.

He also revealed that he was planning collaborations with Gucci Mane and Lil Wayne.

However, as of press time, Shyne's current situation was unknown.

Damn, I didn't know he was from Belize.
    "Very nice. So what is it, *Mr.* Cocksucker now?...Lunch is for wimps."

Comment

Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X