Wiz Khalifa Addresses Criticism Over 'O.N.I.F.C.' Coverart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiz Khalifa Addresses Criticism Over 'O.N.I.F.C.' Coverart

Since dropping the 60-inspired coverart to O.N.I.F.C., Wiz Khalifa has received a little backlash from fans and critics. So, when asked about it in an interview with blogger Karen Civil, the Pittsburgh rap star addressed the criticism, revealing that he was actually shocked by it at first... but isn't upset.

Wiz says, good or bad, it's generating discussion about his upcoming album.

"With the [O.N.I.F.C.] cover and everything, it's just moving into the future," Wiz explained. "We can't stay where we've ever been at, we got to move forward...

"I think that's the beauty of it -- so many people try to plan all those types of situations and be like, 'This is what it is, that's what it is'," he continued. "I don't know what [the response] is gonna be. I do what I feel, and then people react to it. When [the cover] got its reaction, it was crazy to me 'cause I thought people was gonna love it. I thought they would be like, 'Yo, this is the craziest cover, this is the best sh** I've ever seen in my life'. When I sat down and thought about it, I was like, 'Well, whether they're talking about how bad it is or how good it is, they're talking about it,' and that becomes the thing for the day, week, month, however long it lasts. It's a good thing, and I believe in it, so that's what's most important."

Wiz also explains that the coverart is not specifically inspired by Jimi Hendrix, as most think, but rather the larger ethos of the '60s counter-culture.

"[Jimi Hendrix] is definitely an influence, but it's not just [that]," he explained. "Jimi Hendrix is a great person, I love Jimi, but like that whole era of music, they all look like that. When you look back at that time and the Vietnam days... that's what people looked like at that time. Me having an afro and me wearing a bandanna around my head and people think now I look like Jimi Hendrix, it doesn't mean I'm trying to be Jimi. Yeah, I love Jimi, but that's not really exactly who I'm trying to be. I embody that mind frame [and] spirit of what was going on at that time, how people really felt about how important it was to stand up for what you believe in and to fight for what was yours, whether it be your culture or your family."

O.N.I.F.C. is slated to drop September 18.

lol what a load of crap. Your cover is terrible Khalifa, don't try and bring Jimi Hendrix into this.
    A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
    & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
    & getting the benefits that go along with it
    Everythin that's out here for kings like us
    The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
    They don't understand is because we really from Africa
    & that's where all this stuff come from
    & we originated from kings

Comment

Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X