Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAM - French Rap

For those who don't know about IAM, here are few infos

IAM is a French hip hop band from Marseille, created in 1989, and composed of Akhenaton (Philippe Fragione), Shurik'n (Geoffroy Mussard), Khéops (Eric Mazel), Imhotep_(hip_hop) (Pascal Perez), and Kephren (François Mendy). 'IAM' has several meanings, including 'Invasion Arrivée de Mars' ('Invasion from Mars'). 'Mars' is frequently used as a metaphor for Marseille in IAM's songs, another meaning is : Imperial Asiatic Man ( AKH often refers to : ( L'homme Impérial Asiatique ) ).

History

The band was formed in late 1985 by Akhenaton and Khéops, under the name Lively Crew. Lively Crew became B.Boys Stance in the summer of 1987, after which it was joined by Shurik'n, Freeman and Imhotep. In 1989 the group was renamed IAM, and they produced their first album, IAM Concept which was released the following year. They signed a contract with Virgin Records, and went on to publish the album ...de la planète Mars (1991), which became a major hit in France. In 1993 they released another album titled "Ombre est lumière" that helped the band to grow in popularity. However, IAM's big break did not come until their 1997 album L'école du micro d'argent, which took only two days to become a gold album in France and eventually sold over a million copies, becoming a diamond album. L'école du micro d'argent also brought the group some international fame. They also performed at the Reading Festival in England which increased not only their own popularity but that of French Hip Hop in England.

After the massively successful 1997 album, members of the group began to pursue solo careers. Akhenaton had already produced his first solo album, Métèque et mat, in 1995, and he was followed by Shurik'n and Freeman with albums in 1998 and 1999 respectively. Most members of the band now started to work on other projects of their own as well, such as Akhenaton's 2000 film Comme un aimant and three solo albums Sol Invictus (2001), Black album (2002) and Soldat de fortune (2006). However, the group remained intact, writing tracks for their album Revoir un printemps, completed in 2003. The group released its most recent album Saison 5, in April 2007.

So in 97 they release their most successful album "L'école du micro d'argent" which is a classic album here (Vinyl release cost so much now 200 - 300€). Why is it a huge success? Beats made by Dj Kheops are really dope, lyrics are great too, IAM don't praise violence, they mostly talk about how hard it is to live in poor neighborhoods, they don't praise drugs and show off like others do, they also talk about politics and religion, that's what we call "rap conscient" in France. I think everybody here got at least 1 copy of this album.

Got few guest on it, Rahzel and Sunz Of Man (Wu Tang affiliated)

They released 4-5 videos for this album

U can tell by their vids or beats how much they're influenced by Africa, Ancient Egypt, Asia (i guess that's why they worked with Wu affiliated rappers).

In 98 another french rap group called NTM released an untitled album, these 2 were the most influent albums.

IAM is about to release their 7th album, honestly even tho their lyrics are still relevant today, they're kinda outdated, just because only younger rappers with fake lyrics rule now. Each IAM memeber dropped solo album and mixtapes, i'll take some pics later. Anyway, i'll still buy their albums.

[MENTION=2963]Krow [MENTION=327]HazeSilver [MENTION=429]429

Few more vids

Here is a blend i made using a cpu i made of Demain C'est Loin which is the longest track they ever dropped, around 9:00.

Last edited by PainIsLove4Thugz; 03-07-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

NTM = Nik Ta mere = Fuck your mom

my buddy went to school with a guy from ntm
      GO HABS GO!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Dope Music, i like there style...a listen a lot of france rap/musik ...its real

Comment

Originally posted by Krow View Post
          NTM = Nik Ta mere = Fuck your mom

my buddy went to school with a guy from ntm
          How old is he?!

Originally posted by Mr.Passion View Post
          Dope Music, i like there style...a listen a lot of france rap/musik ...its real
          Today's french rap ain't that great honestly :/

Comment

Originally posted by PainIsLove4Thugz View Post
            How old is he?!

My buddy is 30, when I say he went to school with him its either he went to school with one of the dudes or he went to a "centre d'accueil" with him
            GO HABS GO!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krow View Post
              My buddy is 30, when I say he went to school with him its either he went to school with one of the dudes or he went to a "centre d'accueil" with him
              As old as i am, anyway, saw both groups live, must admit NTM was dope, it's not the same with IAM, NTM is more like a real show and IAM just spittin their tracks

Comment

I never really like NTM even though he they have a track with Nas
                GO HABS GO!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Not really the same style, even if both made classics, to me NTM is more hip hop, don't know how to rate IAM, i mean if u love IAM it's mostly because of the quality of their lyrics, NTM it's the beat first, then come the lyrics. That's why i'm kinda surprised u don't really like them, do u remember their album "Paris Sous Les Bombes" ? Couples tracks are produced by LG which did "Out On Bail" OG beat for Pac (NTM used an alternate version of the beat for a remix)

Comment

I was in 5th grade when our teacher introduced the whole class to IAM and he even gave out a free Cd of L'École du micro D'argent. I like NTM, also fonky family.

Tandem is dope aswell imo. I listen to Booba even though lots of people hate him and what not, i'm not really feeling some of his new stuff where he tries to sing but Ouest Side was a dope album, thats the album that got me to listen to booba. Lunatic, mauvais oeil is a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by PainIsLove4Thugz View Post

Today's french rap ain't that great honestly :/
                      Sure i dont listen booba or this maybe few song....they are very much unknown artists who make good music in my opinion
                      Do you speak france ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Passion View Post
                        Sure i dont listen booba or this maybe few song....they are very much unknown artists who make good music in my opinion
                        Do you speak france ?
                        Don't u know i'm french?

Scred Connex & Fabe: great

Originally posted by HazeSilver View Post
                        I was in 5th grade when our teacher introduced the whole class to IAM and he even gave out a free Cd of L'École du micro D'argent. I like NTM, also fonky family.

Tandem is dope aswell imo. I listen to Booba even though lots of people hate him and what not, i'm not really feeling some of his new stuff where he tries to sing but Ouest Side was a dope album, thats the album that got me to listen to booba. Lunatic, mauvais oeil is a classic.

Last edited by PainIsLove4Thugz; 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PainIsLove4Thugz
                          [...] Demain C'est Loin which is the longest track they ever dropped, around 9:00.
                          Not anymore since 2006 and the release of "Soldats De Fortune" from AKH. Here's "La Fin De Leur Monde", the unofficial sequel to "Demain C'est Loin", almost ten years later, lyrics are still fucking on point, length 10:09. The video was banned from TV:

Originally posted by HazeSilver
                          Tandem is dope aswell imo.
                          Propably their most successful single, "93 Hardcore", one of my fav', banned from TV too if I'm correct:

Originally posted by HazeSilver
                          I listen to Booba even though lots of people hate him and what not, i'm not really feeling some of his new stuff where he tries to sing but Ouest Side was a dope album, thats the album that got me to listen to booba. Lunatic, mauvais oeil is a classic.
                          "Ouest Side" was probably the last album where there was a bunch of tracks I can listen to. Pproduction was on point but lyrics wise he was going downhill compared to "Temps Mort" (his first album, you should check this one out, his best work for me) and "Panthéon". Even DJ Fatal took the sampled "Numéro 10" off "Panthéon" to make a remix of 'Pac with the original acapella of "Still Ballin'".

His first single, "Destinée" featuring Kayna Samet, that's the kind of Booba I used to love, gritty sound, dope lyrics:

Pain, j'vois qu't'as « Temps Mort » en plusieurs exemplaires, par le plus grand des hasards tu n'sais pas où j'pourrais trouver la version non censurée de « Destinée » (celle de la vidéo YT justement) s'il te plaît ? Je sais qu'elle est sur « Autopsie volume 1 » mais avec l'intro' du DJ j'suis pas fan, j'préfère quand c'est propre. Impossible de la chopper en qualité sonore nickel et non censurée, sachant que sur la réedition de « Temps Mort » la qualité est dégueulasse et qu'elle est justement censurée. Bien entendu sans faire un RIP de YouTube hein, j'déteste ça !

Merci d'avance !
                          Last edited by 429; 03-07-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

nice to see some french rap being discussed here. I'm not a huge fan of french rap but my top artists are in order

SP - Sans Pression (first 2 albums are amazing even his last one)
                            IAM
                            Fonky Family
                            Manu Military
                            GO HABS GO!!!!

sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=8047]Mr.Passion [MENTION=429]429 [MENTION=2261]PainIsLove4Thugz

here are some Sans Pression tracks ( by the way his fav hip hop fan is 2pac. I was blessed to smoke a Joint with SP a couple of years ago. he's a real smart dude)

SP - Territoire Hostile

SP ft akhenaton - la tendance se maintient

13ieme etage - coeur de montreal

sp - derriere mon sourire

GO HABS GO!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X