Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article - Changing Brand Names In Hip-Hop: For Better Or Worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article - Changing Brand Names In Hip-Hop: For Better Or Worse?

I wrote a piece for TheKoalition.com on rappers changing their names and discussing the reasons why they do so.

Changing of a Hip-Hop name tends to be controversial. Some see it as a desperate move; some see it as a bad move which tarnishes their “brand”. TheKoalition

I always paid attention to how many cats I would rock with or who I worked with on projects and everything because, you know, what's important, is: To stay focused on the growth of your brand, you know. Every MC is a brand. Whether you want to admit it or not.

- Bumpy Knuckles (formerly known as “Freddie Foxxx“) - “Eyeneverputmy4cusaway”
    Nowadays, Hip-Hop is about much more than just the musical or lyrical content. The artistic side now needs to be accompanied by other facets of the business in order to gain notoriety and acclaim. MCs have always needed a reputation in the rap game. However, not only do rappers need to build a reputation, they also need to have albums, mixtapes and tours to create a buzz for themselves. They now also need to portray or create a certain image. Part of that image is created by their name.

You know the saying, “First impressions are the most important”? Well, a rappers name tends to be what gives the audience a first impression of them. It has to sound “cool” and “hip” and it also has to be memorable. After all, this name is going to be plastered on CDs and mixtape covers, advertisements, products they endorse and so forth. So, it is important that they get the name correct and are 100% happy with it even before they ever get hot in the industry. However, some rappers eventually begin to regret their names and have second thoughts after some hindsight. Some rappers “brands” also tend to get stale and therefore seek ways to refresh their brand. Some do this by changing their name.

Please check out the rest of my article!

Thanks!

An hour of Nas and DJ Premier. All their collaborations, plus a few Mr. Kennedy Mixes!

It has always been about the brand of any artist in any part of the music industry in my opinion they have to promote themselves and it things stop working after they try to re brand with a name change and reinvent them self or there style sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.I mean snoop rolling with the snoop lion change he can do that he's already made his money so its just a new venture and then compared to where gucci mane's tried to change his name recently and fans where outraged and he decided hours later not to go threw with it.It all leads back to how there gonna make the most money and that's by doing everything possible like mixtapes concerts and stuff to maintain the brand they represent threw there music.Good article thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenL420 View Post
      It has always been about the brand of any artist in any part of the music industry in my opinion they have to promote themselves and it things stop working after they try to re brand with a name change and reinvent them self or there style sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.I mean snoop rolling with the snoop lion change he can do that he's already made his money so its just a new venture and then compared to where gucci mane's tried to change his name recently and fans where outraged and he decided hours later not to go threw with it.It all leads back to how there gonna make the most money and that's by doing everything possible like mixtapes concerts and stuff to maintain the brand they represent threw there music.Good article thanks for sharing.
      Thanks for the feedback mate.

I agree that Snoop has made his money but there's something not right about it. I dunno if it's a hunch or just pessimism but it doesn't feel 100% when it comes to "Snoop Lion".

An hour of Nas and DJ Premier. All their collaborations, plus a few Mr. Kennedy Mixes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
        Thanks for the feedback mate.

I agree that Snoop has made his money but there's something not right about it. I dunno if it's a hunch or just pessimism but it doesn't feel 100% when it comes to "Snoop Lion".
        Yea i don't like the name change personally but perhaps that's a way of leaving his past in his mind similar to enter 2pac exit makaveli if you know what i mean.

Comment

I HOPE it's genuine and I hope it's a good move musically and he enhances his legacy further.

But again, this hunch I have tells me it's gonna be a move that flops and he sorely regrets. I don't want him to turn into another Flava Flav character (if he hasn't reached that already).

Comment

great read buddy, I hope snoop finds what es looking for. As snoop lion. I understand where he's coming from. Theres only so much an artist an do in hip hop. Snoop Dogg has never been an all aroundhip hop artist IMO. My reasining for that is always when people talk about snoop they usually say its his first 2 albums that are best accompanied by top dog. He was not ableo reinvent himself as Snoop Dogg. He matured and thus came Snoop Lion. Ive heard a couple of great tracks from Snoop Lion and ive heard some awful ones.

Great articleby the way.

DONT STOP KEEP GOIN
            GO HABS GO!!!!

sigpic

Comment

“Noreaga” was refined to “N.O.R.E” (and now known as “P.A.P.I“)
              Worse Than Snoop "Lion"
              Love Peace & Harmony

Comment

Originally posted by Krow View Post
                great read buddy, I hope snoop finds what es looking for. As snoop lion. I understand where he's coming from. Theres only so much an artist an do in hip hop. Snoop Dogg has never been an all aroundhip hop artist IMO. My reasining for that is always when people talk about snoop they usually say its his first 2 albums that are best accompanied by top dog. He was not ableo reinvent himself as Snoop Dogg. He matured and thus came Snoop Lion. Ive heard a couple of great tracks from Snoop Lion and ive heard some awful ones.

Great articleby the way.

DONT STOP KEEP GOIN
                I appreciate the words of encouragement mate!

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X