Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article: Can Kendrick Lamar Beat The Sophomore Curse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Can Kendrick Lamar Beat The Sophomore Curse?

This week, Kendrick Lamar’s album “good kid, m.A.A.d city” finally reached 1,000,000 in sales. Now that he has the sales to match the lofty critical acclaim that his album received, what is next for the Compton MC? Overcoming the daunting sophomore curse.

Many prominent artists that have ever made a mark in Hip-Hop tend to have made that mark with their major label debut album. However, many of them fail to reach the same level of quality in their music on their second attempt. This can be said about the commercial success of those albums too. This could be explained by a number of factors: they shot their proverbial load and don’t have much left to say; their allure has diminished and therefore no longer seem like that breath of fresh air they once were or; a change in environments such as: new labels and producers. Kendrick Lamar now has these potential issues to overcome.
    Article continued here: http://thekoalition.com/2013/08/kend...phomore-curse/

So will Kendrick's album succeed over his first?

An hour of Nas and DJ Premier. All their collaborations, plus a few Mr. Kennedy Mixes!

when i heard section 80 for the first time, i didnt think he could top it, & his album just went a whole new direction while still keeping true to himself, that proved to me that his future projects will be classics.

I Know Death Follows Me
    But
    I'll Murder Him First

Comment

Nobody will remember him in 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by MobFigga357 View Post
        Nobody will remember him in 5 years
        What makes you say that?

An hour of Nas and DJ Premier. All their collaborations, plus a few Mr. Kennedy Mixes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
          What makes you say that?
          Nothing special about his rhymes or delivery. Just another rapper

Comment

Section 80 > good kid mad city

Comment

Nothing special about his rhymes or delivery. Just another rapper
              lol

Also Good Kid M.a.a.D City is considered his debut because it was released by a major record label and you can buy physical copies of it. You can only buy Section.80 on itunes.
              A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
              & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
              & getting the benefits that go along with it
              Everythin that's out here for kings like us
              The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
              They don't understand is because we really from Africa
              & that's where all this stuff come from
              & we originated from kings

Comment

Originally posted by H.O.V.A. View Post
                lol

Also Good Kid M.a.a.D City is considered his debut because it was released by a major record label and you can buy physical copies of it. You can only buy Section.80 on itunes.
                if you grew up when i grew up you would consider this garbage too. When pac and big diedso did the rap game. It will never be the same.

Comment

I don't think that the rap game died when pac and biggie went away, but its true that what we see now days it's not much compared to what we used to have. But there is still good rap out there. Good artists that don't care about enumerating their cars, their brand of clothes, about bitches. There is still hope. You just have to know where to look.

Comment

if you grew up when i grew up you would consider this garbage too. When pac and big diedso did the rap game. It will never be the same.
                    I'm not denying the talent that was in the 90s.

However I feel like limiting my music to just one era is just... boring. Don't get me wrong, my top 5 list of rappers are primarily in the 90s, but to say guys like Kendrick aren't talented is really dismissive. Guy has a promising career ahead of him.
                    A lil over a year ago I was in bondage
                    & now I'm back out here reaping the blessings
                    & getting the benefits that go along with it
                    Everythin that's out here for kings like us
                    The reason why we like this this jewelry & this diamonds & stuff
                    They don't understand is because we really from Africa
                    & that's where all this stuff come from
                    & we originated from kings

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X