Dr. Dre’s Son: “You Can’t Get Out Of That Giant’s Shadow”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Dre’s Son: “You Can’t Get Out Of That Giant’s Shadow”

Dr. Dre's son, Curtis Young (formerly Hood Surgeon), has strived to make a name from himself in an oversaturated industry... but being the son of one of the game's biggest producers hasn't made it any easier.

In a recent interview with XXL, he says stepping out of his father's shadow is damn-near impossible.

"You can't get out of that giant's shadow," Young says. "So I'm still in his shadow -- and because of him, I have the Young name, and the foundation -- but what I understood was, he paved the road that I gotta walk down regardless. I need to brand myself as an artist to understand that.

"I have different entities besides music, so that's what helped me kind of stay out of his shadow, because I've got things that he's not doing. Kind of like how he's got the headphone thing, I've got other things."

Some of those other things, including acting. He tells the mag that he tried to land the role of Dr. Dre in the forthcoming N.W.A biopic, Straight Outta Compton.

"I actually tried out for the role, 'cause the casting company called me," Young says. "But, my father wanted somebody with more acting experience. I haven't been acting for a long time, so I'm happy for the guy that got the role. It's one of those things where we want what's best for the movie and for the film. I had a lot of fans that were upset about it, but whatever's best for the film, that presents it in that light, then I'm for it."

Curtis is currently pushing promoting his EP, Doctor's Note, which he released on iTunes last fall. In the works is the upcoming album, Product Of My DNA.
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X