Raekwon Talks Dr. Dre Collabo, "He Was A Big Fan Of My Movement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raekwon Talks Dr. Dre Collabo, "He Was A Big Fan Of My Movement"

Raekwon recently spoke on Dr. Dre's involvement with his Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 project and said he was thankful to be one of few artists to receive the Doc's support.

The Chef also said his studio time with Dre did not guarantee him a slot on the producer's forthcoming Detox album.

"I ain't really think about it like that," Raekwon said about exchanging Dre's beats for a guest slot on Detox. "My thing is just to really have Dre involved in it. If you notice, Dre don't really put anybody on his tracks. He sticks to his own crew so he was a big fan of my movement. He heard the album and was like, 'Yo, I wanna be a part of this sh*t.' So that was the main focus. I wasn't really thinking about whatever he doing. He's the type of dude [who] only f*cks with his. When you think of through the years how many people can say they have a Dre beat is rare. I guess he really respect what we did and I respect him for what he did because he's the O.G. He was in it before me. He was just excited with the album. He heard it. He had to hear it first...You can't make a motherf*cker do something he don't wanna do. I already knew what kind of dude he is. Once he heard the album, he wanted to be a part of it...Dre actually gave me around four or five beats to work with." (LoveSoul TV)
    Originally rumored to be joining Dre's Aftermath roster, Raekwon previously explained why the deal was never solidified.

"The Aftermath thing was definitely something that people wanted to go down, I wanted to go down as well," Raekwon explained in an interview. "We never inked the situation and we was going back and forth. From what I knew is that Dre's time wasn't really going to be there for me to really get what I needed to get out of him. So right then and there I knew that it was going to be a problem and being that he had so much to do and then you know the terms of agreement wasn't coming together as far as from his side. It wasn't actually him that was really making that call. It was people above him that was really telling him like, 'Yo you got to do this first.'" (XXLMag)
    In past interviews, the rapper defended Doc's work ethic and said it tended to outweigh his artists' needs.
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X