Power Rangers Celebrates Its 20th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Rangers Celebrates Its 20th Anniversary

20 years later, and it's still Morphin Time!

With over 800 episodes airing across 150 countries, there’s no denying that the Power Rangers franchise has inspired and empowered multiple generations of fans. In particular, though, it was the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series that started the revolution that would quickly become a staple in many a childhood (including my own).

It’s been almost 20 years since the original show made its debut on Fox Kids, thanks to the show’s developmental pioneer Haim Saban. In honor of that, Comic-Con held a 20th anniversary panel featuring some of old the cast and crew to talk about their experiences working on the show and how it has impacted their own lives over the years. Panelists included Saban Brands president Elie Dekel, MMPR producer-writer Tony Oliver, Walter Jones (the original Black Ranger), Paul Schrier (Bulk), Alex Heartman (the latest Red Ranger in Power Rangers Samurai).

Reflecting on old times, Jones noted that one of the things that made the show work so well back then was the chemistry among the cast. For him, it was their collective working relationship that allowed the show to go on as long as it did.

As Dekel recalled, in addition to the actors, it wasn’t really until the 1990s that a series like MMPR could really click with younger audiences. Saban had struggled for nearly ten years to bring Japan's Super Sentai to the states, adapting the show into what we now know as the Power Rangers. Fortunately, the combination of up-and-coming actors along with the particular climate of the entertainment industry served as a perfect platform for bringing the re-imagined series to life.

It was around the time that Schrier was ready to give his own input that a certain “heckler” spoke out from the audience: none other than Jason Narvy, who played Skull to Schrier’s Bulk. The audience erupted as Narvy made his way on stage. The actor basked in the welcome applause, engaging in a physical slapstick bit with his old partner Schrier, which caused even more uproar from the crowd. Their casual back and forth offered plenty of comic relief throughout the panel.

While the initial fan reception of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was nothing short of “morphinomenal” in 1993, the panel did take note of its dedicated fan base, which has proved to be incredibly loyal over the years. Oliver mentioned that it wasn't until he saw the ongoing chatrooms and message boards still actively discussing the show that he realized now was the best time for releasing the series on DVD for a whole new generation.

Closing out the panel, the audience was shown an updated sizzle reel featuring footage from the new DVDs -- backed by the show’s classic opening theme, of course. And from the clips we saw, Power Rangers has never looked better in DVD quality (speaking as someone who's well worn out his old VHS copies). The 19-disc set (available now) not only collects all 155 episodes of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Alien Rangers, but also includes numerous archival features and retrospective featurettes.

As for the future of the franchise -- which has just finished airing new episodes of Power Rangers Samurai on Nickelodeon -- Dekel assured the giddy audience, "There is no end in site." And as Heartman confirmed with me backstage, the next iteration of the show is already underway.

if you notice that the japanise footage was always 10x better... better effects and better costumes.... the american costumes and footage was sht... just look at that pic!! their necks bulge out and the green rangers shield looks like cloth... lol... the jap version everything looks more realistic...

Comment

childhood memories are awake, i was an addict !
      Happy b-day

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican-Man View Post
        if you notice that the japanise footage was always 10x better... better effects and better costumes.... the american costumes and footage was sht... just look at that pic!! their necks bulge out and the green rangers shield looks like cloth... lol... the jap version everything looks more realistic...
        LMAO! Really? Do you have any pictures?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion Graft View Post
          LMAO! Really? Do you have any pictures?

American green ranger footage

Japanese green ranger footage

LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCES IN THE SHIELD!!! OMG!! HAHAAHHA

im trying to find a nice japanese promo pic to match your pic you posted but i cant find any good quality ones yet....

if you go back on youtube and watch an episode... you can tell the difference 100% between the footage... although the american footage was shot in better quality.. the japanese footage has the best content... explosions.. distruction.. but you can just tell right away by quality picture

i never knew anything about the japanese version until i was older and got the internet... lol... thats when i went back and watched all the japanese episodes... it was very interesting to see what the american version was all based on and to see more footage that they never used in the american one... not to mention the more "graphic" stuff.. lol.. jap version people are like getting blown up and dying and sht... the US version never had stuff like that... the green ranger actually dies in the jap version where as he just loses his power in the US version...

Comment

the first 3 seasons were the best, movie was ok but the rest is crap
            My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
            Vinyls: 60
            Cassettes: 110
            CDs: 216

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican-Man View Post
              American green ranger footage

Japanese green ranger footage

LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCES IN THE SHIELD!!! OMG!! HAHAAHHA

im trying to find a nice japanese promo pic to match your pic you posted but i cant find any good quality ones yet....

if you go back on youtube and watch an episode... you can tell the difference 100% between the footage... although the american footage was shot in better quality.. the japanese footage has the best content... explosions.. distruction.. but you can just tell right away by quality picture

i never knew anything about the japanese version until i was older and got the internet... lol... thats when i went back and watched all the japanese episodes... it was very interesting to see what the american version was all based on and to see more footage that they never used in the american one... not to mention the more "graphic" stuff.. lol.. jap version people are like getting blown up and dying and sht... the US version never had stuff like that... the green ranger actually dies in the jap version where as he just loses his power in the US version...
              Damn, you can tell! Look at gold thing on him, American one does feel a bit cheap. But the quality on other one doesn't look so great so can't tell much, but from that it does look better!

I wonder if the old Power Rangers is out in Blu Ray, I can't stand the quality right now, was bearable back in the day but now I'm too used to HD footage
              sigpic

Comment

I remember playing Power Rangers when I was a kid. I was always the pink one and would kick my brothers ass

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X