Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-Third of Gamers Would Rather Buy Their Games Online

Up 10% from last year.

The NPD Group has published its Online Gaming 2012 report. According to the results, more than one-third of customers who bought games in the past three months would prefer to purchase a game digitally instead of receiving a physical copy. This is up 10% compared to results found in 2011.

According to NPD, data for the survey was collected over a three week period and included nearly 8,500 individual respondents. While digital downloads have been standard practice on PC for a long time, consoles have recently begun offering equally robust options, including Sony selling Vita games on PSN the same day as in stores and possibly doing the same for PS3. Nintendo recently announced that Wii U and 3DS will adopt a similar strategy.

The report also revealed that 40% of those surveyed reported obtaining at least one game in both the physical and digital formats. “Gamers are growing more comfortable in acquiring content online, as we saw the preference for digital increase ten percentage points from last year,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan. “The proliferation of free games on mobile devices has reduced the barrier of entry for online gaming to zero, fueling an increase in acquisition.”

Gamers also responded to questions about multi-functionality on consoles and portables, admitting that they spend less money on games due to entertainment features being available on the same device. More than 20% of gamers said members of their household use gaming systems for entertainment activities.

Fuck that, I'm physical copy all the way. People need to get off their lazy asses and go out and pick up what they want. Fuck a "convenience" factor. That's just stupid. I understand if it's digital-only (you obviously have no choice) but to download something you can go out and purchase and actually OWN is just idiotic.

Comment

stupid motherfuckers
      hardcopies FTW
      My 2PAC Collection | Status: 09/27/2018
      Vinyls: 60
      Cassettes: 110
      CDs: 216

Comment

fuck that physical copy all the way most those nerds prefer digital "sex" also
        sigpic

Comment

My weigh in is that i am with the hard copy people i prefer owning a psychical item over a storage slot on a hard drive anyday

Comment

hard copies is what i need!! fuck buying a game online.. i want covers and cd..

Comment

Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X