GameStop's Preorder Plans Sound Like Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameStop's Preorder Plans Sound Like Bad News

Of all the things wrong with big, blockbuster video games, few are as shitty as the obsession with preordering. So you'll be just thrilled to know that GameStop's plans for the future of the practice are, should they ever come to fruition, pretty much a nightmare scenario.
    Stop Preordering Video Games

It's not hard finding things that are wrong with the video game industry these days. From…Read more

According to a report on GamesBeat, the retail giant recently met with investment company R.W. Baird to talk about the company's future, and one of Baird's analysts has revealed some of the things that they spoke about.

"[GamesStop] indicated that software publishers are more enthusiastic about partnering with it," Baird's Colin Sebastian wrote. "For example, by offering exclusive content on each major game release, and longer term, future models may include GameStop offering exclusive gameplay."

GamesBeat asked him to clarify what exactly that "future model" meant, and Sebastian added the retailer is thinking about "getting involved at the time of game development where there could be some content exclusive to [the retailer] included in the game."

So if you thought it was stupid that peripheral content like skins and maps was split up between retailers, just wait until GameStop can offer actual parts of a game you can't get anywhere else. Then wait for Walmart and Best Buy and Amazon to catch on. It'll be great.

We've contacted GameStop for comment, and will update if we hear back.

Wow, what greedy corporate pieces of shit. Although I will say this, multiplayer is where it's at and if they start doing this exclusive to retailer shit we'll see how much people enjoy gameplay online when they're only playing with 3000 other people. The Lag with connections will be next level and negative feedback to the developer will sink there games with the shit storm they'd be caught in. What they're proposing isn't innovative - it's just plan stupid!

Comment

GameStop fucking sucks. I've had too many issues with them. One time they sold me a used game that was missing the booklet with the key code. The disc was dirty. It was marked as new on the shelf. They basically sold me a dirty frisbee for $30 which was the full retail price. That's just one example. I'll stick to Steam and Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by skitzo View Post
        GameStop fucking sucks. I've had too many issues with them. One time they sold me a used game that was missing the booklet with the key code. The disc was dirty. It was marked as new on the shelf. They basically sold me a dirty frisbee for $30 which was the full retail price. That's just one example. I'll stick to Steam and Amazon.
        That sucks i wont by used or even new as they say on the shelf unless its sealed.

Comment

Gamestop trade ins are a rip off, I only did my pre orders for the exclusive stuff

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X