Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Planning Paid PSN Subscriptions For 2010

Sony planning paid PSN subscriptions for 2010 - News at GameSpot

[UPDATE] Kaz Hirai confirms premium level will be added on top of PS3 and PSP's online service, which will remain free to play online; PSN revenue expected to hit $563 million this fiscal year.

One the biggest selling points of the PlayStation 3 is that gamers can use the console to play online at no additional charge. However, evidence has surfaced that the company is planning a two-tiered subscription model for the PlayStation Network similar to--but also fundamentally different from--Xbox Live.

Sony is mulling a premium version of PSN.

Slides accompanying a Thursday presentation by Sony show that the company is planning a "new revenue stream from subscription" on PSN in 2010. [UPDATE] During the presentation, which emphasized Sony's plans to make its game business profitable in the next fiscal year, Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai confirmed the plans. "We will be building upon our current free [PSN] service offering with premium content and services to start the subscription model," he told attendees.

Perhaps to assuage PS3 owners' fears that they would soon have to pay to play online, Hirai issued a subsequent statement indicating the present level of service would remain gratis.

"SCE will further increase sales by offering users new entertainment through the combination of hardware, software, peripheral, and PlayStation Network," Hirai said in a statement given to British outlets, such as CVG. "Especially in the online area, we are studying the possibility of introducing a subscription model, offering premium content and services, in addition to the current free services." (Emphasis added.)

As of press time, US Sony reps had not offered Hirai's statement or further clarification about its subscription plans for the PlayStation Network. Luckily, though, the "current free services" currently offered on PSN include online play, Facebook integration, and Netflix video streaming. On Xbox Live, both of those features are only accessible at the Gold membership level, which costs at least $50 per year.

[UPDATE] Even without subscriptions, PSN revenue is on the rise. For the current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2010, Sony expects ¥50 billion ($563 million) in earnings from the service, a threefold increase from the year prior. In addition to game-related content, the PSN's retail component--the PlayStation Store--offers video offerings, such as television shows and movies for both rental and sale.
    Waterproofing my life with Flex Tape.

haha different from xbox live, but thats good
    paying for the service will make it much better
    F-N-F
    THE REMIX KING
    / Certified Music Critic

Comment

I aint gonna pay for online play, but that is gladly not the case here.

Comment

Nice, you can still play for free just paying extra for whatever additional content Sony have to offer. Xbox should be free to play like this
        My Current PC
        i7 5820k @ 4.4 Ghz w/ Corsair H100i | Asus x99a | 500GB Samsung 850 SSD |250GB Samsung 840 SSD | MSI GTX1080 8GB | Asus Xonar Essence STX | 32GB Corsair Vengence | Corsair AX860

Comment

Originally posted by east2west View Post
          Xbox should be free to play like this
          naw, have you seen the recent shit xbox came out with lol
          they are putting the money to good use for the community
          F-N-F
          THE REMIX KING
          / Certified Music Critic

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal-N-Felony View Post
            naw, have you seen the recent shit xbox came out with lol
            they are putting the money to good use for the community
            Shiiiet, they should instead put that money to good use by eliminating the RROD issues on their newer 360 models. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAzzChicano View Post
              Shiiiet, they should instead put that money to good use by eliminating the RROD issues on their newer 360 models. LOL.
              i havent heard about any new ones getting that
              anyways theres not much you can do about it
              F-N-F
              THE REMIX KING
              / Certified Music Critic

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal-N-Felony View Post
                i havent heard about any new ones getting that
                anyways theres not much you can do about it
                Actually, the new ones still get that; the failure rate is just slightly lower.
                There's a 3-year warranty for RROD, but all they do is give you a refurbished 360 in exchange for your broken one which STILL have the chance to break.

Damn, I'm off topic. LOL.

Comment

Its still gunna be free YES. lol........... Nintendo,Microsoft and Sony need to put there brains together and make a DOPE system...Fuck this fan boy shit..lol
                  If you could get money to kill people
                  You could get money to help people

Comment

I have a strong suspicion that Sony is intending to some sneaky shit, I'd bet that they are planning to still offer it for "free" but will punish users who use the free plan by limiting certain aspects of the online play. Maybe they will cap the amount of players during multi player matches or the connection will suffer for free players, you will almost certainly have to have a paid subscription for downloadable content, there is also the trophies they could punish free players with.

In the end, Sony will have lived up to their promise to still let people play for free but i bet you that the free play will be so shitty nobody wants it, these pricks need to call it good and be happy with the success they have had so far, free online is the only reason i even bought my PS3, in fact i have bought TWO PS3s for that reason.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X