Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Questions...

Hi everyone,

Looks like my girl will be setting me up with a PS3 for Christmas and I was hoping for some education ...

1) Streaming video/music (wirelessly) from my PC to the PS3/TV
    Is this possible? How's the quality?
    Do I need an adapter?
    I have a linksys wireless adaptor for PS2, will this work?

2) I'm looking at a big screen TV.
    I enjoy sports/action movies/games and leaning towards a plasma.
    Todays plasmas, is burn in a concern?

3) Downloading or Backing up Games.
    Is there a good site to download PS3 games?
    Is there a certain software required?
    Can a blue ray game be copied onto a blank DVD disc?
    Or, do you require a blueray burner?
    To play downloaded/backup games, do you need to install a "chip"?
    Roughly, how much to have a chip installed?

4) PS3 Hard Drive.
    Can the PS3 hard drive be used like a PC hard drive?
    Can games be installed directly on the hard drive?
    Can the PS3 blue ray drive be by passed?

5) Anyother thoughts/recommendations for a newbie?

Thanks a ton for taking the time to read/respond.

Cheers.

I`ll answer what i know..

1 - Yes u can stream video`s and music from PC to your PS3, a mate of mine uses Windows Media Player, modded a file for it and can watch most movies on his ps3 yes.... Myself, i did this with TVersity for PS3 wich is free software u can download and is pretty easy to configure...

I dont use these methods any more since i got a Eminent HD Media Stream device wich i hook on my HD tv and i can watch all the movies i have on external hard drive including Full HD content.....

Problem with PS3 = that it wont play all content out, good HD movies that the PS3 will play once burned on a regular dvd are - for example -
    The Hangover.m2t These are full HD movies with size of about 4 gigs and PS3 will play them without a problem So look for M2T movies if you want to watch HD movies but burned on a regular dvd.

2.... Plasma i dont know what to say, dont have one so no comment

3 - The Playstation does not have downloadeble games like from a Torrent site or whatsoever... this machine is still not cracked so everything u get is original like games and shit, u could burn movies and watch them on the PS3 tho. And downloadeble games are in the "Playstation Store" where u can buy games or expension packs, download demo`s and themes etc.

So no illigal content on the PS3 accept for movies..

4 - It can be used as a PC hard drive, but the PS3 HD is FAT32, problem with FAT32 is that files larger then 4 GIG cannot be transferred to it.... for example my external hard drive and my pc hd like C:/ is all NTFS.... because if i get files over 4 GIG i cant copy them so that is a huge let down for me.. Maybe u are on FAT32, but its not recommended.... Well if you have an external hard drive that is formatted as FAT32, u could hook it up on the PS3

If games can be installed.... good question, well with the latest update for PS3 people are able to hook 2 PS3`s up to eachother and transfer data with a UTP cable inbetween..

BRB im gonna google this up for you

EDIT:

Aight, look what Sony added in the latest Firmware update

PS3 Data Transfer:

This feature enables you to transfer all of your saved data from one PS3 to another. So if you decide to get a new PS3 you can make sure you don’t loose any of your existing content. Content such as games, game save data, and videos downloaded from PlayStation Network can be transferred to the new PS3 system and deleted from the current PS3. Other content, including personal media files (photos, music, videos), can be copied onto the new PS3 and remain on the current PS3 system.

^^^ I think this is a good addition for the PS.
    Last edited by Smoka; 12-24-2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the taking the time to compose such a detailed response.. much appreciated!
      Repped!

Comment

No problem man, glad i could help you out. And if you want to know more just ask away

Comment

Originally posted by Smoka View Post
          No problem man, glad i could help you out. And if you want to know more just ask away
          will do .. I'm sure once I get started I'll have a few questions

thanks again

Comment

Who has read this thread:
          Working...
          X