PS3 Red Blinking Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Red Blinking Light

hey guys i haven't been in this section before so i may be posting this in the wrong spot. sorry if i am.

i have the original 60gb ps3. i've played the shit out of it and have had it on for 12 hours or so at a time and haven't had any problems out of it. it has always been loud though like the fans are blowing extra hard. i never used a air spray can on it though. well anyways i filled up the 60gb hard drive so i bought a 500gb, after going through what felt like Hell i was able to get most of my save files from the other HD to my new one. well it worked fine for a week or two...maybe more. then one day my brother was playin it and he had it laying down, horizontally. i told him to lift it upright in the vertical position because it will get better air circulation. he said 'whatever it doesn't matter" well fucking 5 minutes later the damn system shut off. he turned it back on and the screen where it makes that loud PS noise and the wavey thing came on but was kind of glitchy then the system short off a few seconds later and was just blinking a red light...that's all that it does now. i know it's too old to get sony to fix. i need this fucker to work so i can get my save files off my two hard drives. if anyone knows how to fix this or how i can just buy a new ps3 model and transfer my save files from my 500GB HD to the new one back onto my 500GB because for some odd reason you just can't pull the HD out and put it in another system and it work... the only damn good feature of xbox and it's the one i wish i had right now... fuck. please help me guys!

what the fuck? does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Do you havethe first model? If so, turn the fucker off.... from power so its not on standby, now hold the EJECT button and turn back the power on your ps3. If im correct it will blow itself clean, otherwise after that you have turned it on keep holding EJECT button and then press on the standby button. << 1 if these 2 methods should work, did it like 3 times with my ps3 so far. The fans will blow extra hard and blow it clean, sorta like that.

Let me know if this worked, good luck

Comment

I had problems with my 60go PS3 too months ago, animations didn't load, after that the whole shit was freezing then the bluray player broke, the only thing i've been able to do was to buy a new one and copy files from old to new. Don't have any problems now so i advise y'all to save files on an external HD.

Comment

i have the original 60GB model. i called Sony because as soon as you turn it on, it goes to a green light, then flashes yellow, then goes to a flashing red over and over. Sony tech support said since it wouldnt' stay on there was no way i could get my save files off of it. They said i could send it in to them and for $99 they will give me a 120GB model. i said i would, because i have a 500GB HD that i'm going to put in it and it would be cheaper to get their 120 than the smallest GB size on the market to do the same thing...switch the default HD for my 500GB.

im goin to try the fan thing and see if it works. if it does i will be able to get my files off of the PS3... Tech support also told me that if i put another HD into the playstation that it didn't belong in, it would reformat it and delete the data. with this said i dont understand how i'm supposed to get the save files from one ps3 to another. fucking Sony made this shit so complicating. xbox has 1 good feature. take the HD off mine and put it into your xbox and there, there are my save files. on ps3 it's like breaking out of a fuckin penitentary.

Comment

you could take the HDD out and slave it off of a computer. i assume its a SATA drive in there, so get a sata enclosure, pop the hard drive in, and itll act like an external HDD. hopefully it doesnt need to reformat to work. if it does, you CAN still get data off of it, but its risky.

choose the quick format option, then use a program called "recuva" (same people who make ccleaner) and deep scan it for data. PS3 save data is small as shit and if you use quick format, the file structure should be intact. ps3 save data should be in a folder called "PS3"

you may lose one or two, but chances are youll get most if not all of your save data this way.

if the hdd works in the enclosure without needing to format, than your done, copy it all to a flash drive in a folder called PS3. plug it in your new PS3 and choose the restore saves from external media option

Comment

Turn it off. Remove all wires usb etc. And remove hard disk. This worked for me, then it happened a year later but fixed itself.

Comment

Originally posted by MCNewYork71 View Post
                i have the original 60GB model. i called Sony because as soon as you turn it on, it goes to a green light, then flashes yellow, then goes to a flashing red over and over. Sony tech support said since it wouldnt' stay on there was no way i could get my save files off of it. They said i could send it in to them and for $99 they will give me a 120GB model. i said i would, because i have a 500GB HD that i'm going to put in it and it would be cheaper to get their 120 than the smallest GB size on the market to do the same thing...switch the default HD for my 500GB.

im goin to try the fan thing and see if it works. if it does i will be able to get my files off of the PS3... Tech support also told me that if i put another HD into the playstation that it didn't belong in, it would reformat it and delete the data. with this said i dont understand how i'm supposed to get the save files from one ps3 to another. fucking Sony made this shit so complicating. xbox has 1 good feature. take the HD off mine and put it into your xbox and there, there are my save files. on ps3 it's like breaking out of a fuckin penitentary.
                Sounds like you got a YLOD. Had that aswell some weeks ago.

You can repair it yoursself, but it gives now guarentee how long the ps3 will work. He can work 2 more years, or 2 more days.

I repaired mine and sold it the same day for €160 haha.

YLOD:

You know you have received the YLOD when the following occurs (Can also be seen here):

You power on the console.
                The console starts up normally for about 2-3 seconds,
                The console beeps 3 times while flashing a faint yellow light,
                The console continues to flash a red light.

In the PlayStation 3 owner's manual, the flashing red light indicates an overheat, but the manual also states that the PS3 can be restarted (once cooled down) without any further problems (This is, of course, a false statement). Here is an image of the manual stating this interesting fact (Page 13 of 60GB model CECHA01):

Comment

Thought my old PS3 was dead but after reading y'all comments, i guess i'll try to fix it one day, only problem is that i should buy an other bluray drive

Comment

thanks for all the help guys! i did try and do the fan trick by holding the eject button but i didn't see any results. it just beeped then nothing. i didn't try to open it and repair ti myself. i called Sony first and sent it in and for $99 they are going to give me a 120gb one. i'm going to take my 500gb HD and put it into the PS3 when i get it. the tech told me it would erase all my data though because it woudl reformat the disc. anyone know a way i can save my files on my 500GB?

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X