• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackers Of PSN Have Your Information

(From Gamespot.com)

Sony confirms personal PSN data compromised

* By Tom Magrino, GameSpot
    * Posted Apr 26, 2011 1:23 pm PT

PS3 maker says "unauthorized person" has gained access to identifying information including username and password; credit card data possibly compromised.

Sony has entered the seventh day of its PlayStation Network outage, and the situation has turned from bad to worse. Offering an update on the "external intrusion" that gave the Japanese electronics company cause to brings its online service for the PlayStation 3 and PSP offline, Sony has confirmed that personal information has been compromised.

PS3 owners have had their personal information compromised.

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network," a Sony spokesperson confirmed on the company's official blog.

As for what that means to PSN and Qriocity users, Sony said that "an unauthorized person" has gained access to such identifying information as registrants "name, address (city, state, zip), country, e-mail address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID." Sony recently told a group of investors that the PSN currently has some 75 million registered users.

According to the publisher, it is also possible that the intruder obtained certain profile data, including "purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

Sony also confirmed speculation that credit card data may have been compromised as part of the attack. "While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," the Sony spokesperson said. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Sony is taking a three-pronged approach to addressing the situation. The first, as many gamers have noticed, has been to indefinitely bring down the PSN and Qriocity media service. Sony said that it has also "engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened." Finally, the publisher said that it is currently taking steps to "enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system."

Sony noted that US PSN and Qriocity users can contact credit-monitoring agencies Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion for a free "fraud alert" that ensures credit agencies will take extra precautionary measures toward identity verification. The publisher notes that this fraud alert may impede the expediency of legitimate credit requests.

Sony did not provide an update for when it expects to bring the PSN back online.

This Is The Worst News Ever. Time To Get A Xbox 360 lol

thats fucked up lol, all that money and they cant provide security, smh
    Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin
    Where blood has been shed the tree of forgiveness cannot grow

Comment

It just got real
      Death Row Records Samples List

Comment

It sucks what hackers do these days I had to order a new card from my bank befor they get to use mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jamaal View Post
          thats fucked up lol, all that money and they cant provide security, smh
          Exactly!!!! Sony Deserves The Bashing They Are Getting For Not Have Good Security For The Server

Comment

Originally posted by chuco View Post
            It sucks what hackers do these days I had to order a new card from my bank befor they get to use mine.
            Hateful, I use a credit card voucher, its like a top up card. I prefer using it incase stuff like this happens. Plus Credit cards are expensive to own.
            There was only like 2 euro left in my card that was registered on the psn network lol.
            Last edited by Plato; 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I don't think hackers will do anything about it. It was just to show how strong they can be.
              Bryan Anonim
              Mix & Mastering bryanonim@wp.pl

Comment

Yea really fucked up.

This is the new kind of bank robbing for the future. Criminals can make alot money with personall information like Name, email adress, adress, credit card numbers , passwords etc.

There are serverall internet forum that criminals use to sell and buy information like this to make ID cards, etc etc. Yesterday there was something about this on a TV in Holland.

A hint for people: Alot people have the same passwords for every inlog thing. If your psn password is the same as your paypal, email aim, msn etc. Change these.

I hope psn will be online soon.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X