PlayStation 3 Firmware 4.20 Causes Massive Problems for Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayStation 3 Firmware 4.20 Causes Massive Problems for Users

It seems that the latest firmware for the PlayStation 3, software update 4.20, is causing a series of major issues for owners of the console, with some saying that their devices are unable to start while others report different types of problems.

Sony’s firmware updates on the PS3 usually go off without a hitch but the latest software, which took it to version 4.20, has apparently caused a series of major issues for PS3 owners from all over the world.

According to members of the official PlayStation forums, a large variety of problems have appeared after they installed the new firmware update.

The most serious ones include complete hardware failures, with some PS3 owners being unable to start their console.

“After few hours of Skyrim, I closed the game and installed the 4.20 update, choosing the option to shut the PS3 down after install. Now the PS3 will not turn on. I am getting the Green/yellow/blinking red light error,” said one user.

“I ran the new software update last night. It was very slow to install and stuck on 99% for a good while, but it did eventually complete and the system restarted as normal. Then when I went to play a game the system became stuck with just a black screen for around 10 minutes. Eventually I restarted to the system. On restart I just get a blue screen. The usual start up sounds do play, but that's it, cant access the menu to try any fixes. It won't even allow a hard restart at this point, and just gives 3 beeps,” another added.

Other PS3 owners can start their console after the update, but they’re now faced with constant freezes or can’t access certain features, like Blu-ray playback, or work with data (photos, videos, or music) found on external hard drives.

Sony, as of yet, hasn’t posted an official answer to all these complaints, but it’s clear that a new software update will soon be released.

All 3 PS3's in my house are fully updated and all 3 of them are working fine

Comment

yep, mine too, working great
      Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin
      Where blood has been shed the tree of forgiveness cannot grow

Comment

I just did some research about this and the 4.20 firmware did cause a lot of problems. but on July 5, 2012 they put out firmware 4.21 to improve the system stability. so as of now everything should be ok or getting better. I also skimmed past an article they have been sued in the past for their firmware updates. cuz they have caused the blue ray drive to malfunction and were charging people 150 dollars to repair. Here is the article below this happened awhile ago but the best i could find right now.

sony Computer Entertainment America is facing a class action lawsuit over the botched release of mandatory PS3 firmware 3.0 and a later system update that is said to have irreparably damaged thousands of consoles.

Released on September 1 and billed as the last significant PS3 firmware update of 2009, version 3.0 introduced new trophy and friends list features as well as dynamic dashboard themes and PlayStation Store shortcuts. But shortly following its release a number of users reported running into technical problems, including the inability to synch up controllers with consoles and game freezes mid-session.

SCEA said at the time that it was aware of “isolated issues” being experienced by users and that it was “looking into the matter”, before releasing PS3 firmware update 3.01 as a partial fix later in the month.

However, lead plaintiff John Kennedy claims that the latter system update not only failed to rectify the problems but also caused users' Blu-ray drives to malfunction. Sony said it would cost $150 to repair his damaged console, according to Courthouse News.

Represented by California-based Parisi & Havens, class members are demanding declaratory relief, compensation and restitution from SCEA for an alleged breach of implied warranty, negligence and unjust enrichment.

Sony has run into problems in the past when rolling out major PS3 firmware updates. In July last year, firmware version 2.40 - which introduced in-game access to the system's XMB and a Trophies achievement system - had to be pulled for further testing after numerous users reported technical problems - including consoles locking up - after downloading or while attempting to download it. Sony released a new firmware update shortly afterwards which fixed the issues.

Comment

Who has read this thread:
        Working...
        X