Still I Rise (OG Vibe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kool81 View Post
    I hear ya bro. I even noticed when I muted the limiter the song sounds different.

Still I Rise (OG Vibe with Limiter muted 1st verse only)
    https://mega.nz/file/kiR1WAbB#S0dqpJ...Edy3ODWL1FkPaM
    Awesome bro

Comment

Originally posted by Dominator View Post
      Damn, this sounds awesome! Much more relaxed. The other one is too wild. Maybe I'm getting old lol
      Well I'm not for sure about the "getting old" part lol, but then again I just turned 40 not too long ago and kids these days consider that to be "old"... I had thought about what u said in your comment before and remembered reading articles about the "Loudness War" where it's questioned as to why music has to be "loud" to be considered "good" or standout and whether or not this is a good thing. Of course a lot of us (myself included) in to 2000's followed that belief, cuz everyone was on this "The louder, the better" tip lol, but the more I started to understand mixing I've noticed that compressors and limiters somewhat alter the sound of a song. I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that the standards of how loud music should be is going back to how songs were mastered for vinyl to have "dynamic range" (lol i don't know all the technical stuff behind that, but I think it has more to do with vinyl being a popular format again and expenses as hell... at least to me lol)
      Last edited by kool81; 10-19-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by realest2947 View Post
        Awesome bro
        Thanks man.

Comment

.... but the more I started to understand mixing I've noticed that compressors and limiters somewhat alter the sound of a song. I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that the standards of how loud music should be is going back to how songs were mastered for vinyl to have "dynamic range" (lol i don't know all the technical stuff behind that, but I think it has more to do with vinyl being a popular format again and expenses as hell... at least to me lol)
          Definitely bro. [MENTION=1068]Steez once pointed out that Hit 'Em Up had more dynamic range (especially notable on the drums) on vinyl than on CD. I was very surprised because I thought rap shit would sound the same on all mediums since it was done on computers anyways lol.

Another good example is Thru' My Rearview (Grab The Mic). The sample was heavily compressed, which totally destroys the dynamics. Dverything sounds equally loud. If you listen to the original song you can tell the sounds kinda fade out:

Last edited by Dominator; 10-19-2021, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Im not an expert on this matter [MENTION=12451]Dominator but The way it was explained to me, all music is 'brickwalled' on CD. acoustic dynamic range is gone. Must be like crushing blacks and whites on images to drown out the detail.

its a shame what they did to CD/digital. Digital is the cleanest quality but they mastered sound on Vinyl the way it should be?
            Running from the police..

No matter what I do..

Comment

Originally posted by Steez View Post
              Im not an expert on this matter [MENTION=12451]Dominator but The way it was explained to me, all music is 'brickwalled' on CD. acoustic dynamic range is gone. Must be like crushing blacks and whites on images to drown out the detail.

its a shame what they did to CD/digital. Digital is the cleanest quality but they mastered sound on Vinyl the way it should be?
              One of the most prominent albums to display this is Oasis - (What’s The Story) Morning Glory - https://darko.audio/2014/10/oasis-wh...walling-glory/

If I want to get an album i usually first check https://dr.loudness-war.info/, dynamic range db. You can also do it yourself which I found very useful - https://github.com/simon-r/dr14_t.meter
              Death Row Records Samples List

Comment

[MENTION=12451]Dominator [MENTION=10977]realest2947 [MENTION=1068]Steez [MENTION=607]hobomotel

Still I Rise (2021 Full OG Remake vocals slightly louder without Limiter )

There was a conversation I had with [MENTION=1511]enya about this song a while ago and within that conversation I had mentioned how I preferred the sound of the drums of the "OG Later Mixdown/Version 2", whereas his preference was the original OG drums. (Particularly the snare used in that one.) As a mixer and producer/beatmaker I find it kinda interesting how a minor change in one instrument or mix can make a song sound and feel completely different and how it can change one's perception of that song one way or another. (This song or any song in general) So for fun I removed the "OG LM/V2" snare and added in the original OG snare just to see how it would sound in the mix.

"Still I Rise" (OG Full Remake No Limiter with original OG Snare)

It's a hard choice of which one I prefer... I guess there's no problem of liking both lol or just enjoying all the mixes that are out there.
                Last edited by kool81; 11-23-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I definitely like the idea of enjoying all of what's out there. I like the OG drums myself. Hard choice for sure. Love the way you perfected this sound.
                  Last edited by realest2947; 11-23-2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by realest2947 View Post
                    I definitely like the idea of enjoying all of what's out there. I like the OG drums myself. Hard choice for sure. Love the way you perfected this sound.
                    The beat for this song appears to be simple and repetitive, but it was the hardest for me to recreate cuz there's so many lil' nuances going on with the bass line. I could've just copied and pasted a 2 bar loop or just completely "OG Vibed" it, but being that this is my favorite 2Pac song (ever lol) I couldn't let it go down like that.
                    Last edited by kool81; 11-23-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

The beat for this song appears to be simple and repetitive, but it was the hardest for me to recreate cuz there's so many lil' nuances going on with the bass line. I could've just copied and pasted a 2 bar loop or just completely "OG Vibed" it, but being that this is my favorite 2Pac song (ever lol) I couldn't let it go down like that.
                      Yeah for sure bro..I remember you said it was your fav...it definitely turned out amazing. im playing it now lol

Comment

B1st member [MENTION=13173]yellow (not sure if he's on here or not) donated and requested a version of "Still I Rise" with the OG beat, Retail hook and all the Outlawz verses. I rebuilt, yet based it on the 2020 OG Vibe mix I did back then. (Minus the extra guitar, shaker and clave)

Comment

Who has read this thread:
                        Working...
                        X