Jedi Mind Tricks Return, Ready First New Album Since 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedi Mind Tricks Return, Ready First New Album Since 2008

For more than 15 years, the name Jedi Mind Tricks has become synonymous with raw, gritty underground hip-hop. Next month, in October, the group will bring more of that to the game with the release of Violence Begets Violence, their first new album since 2008's A History of Violence.

The new album, which drops on member Vinnie Paz's own Enemy Soil imprint, marks a change (something the group has undeniably become accustomed to over the years) as longtime JMT producer, Stoupe, hands over production duties to a new wave of talented producers wjp honed in on the JMT sound; but set on creating a fresh take on a classic formula.

Stoupe's non-participation on the upcoming LP is addressed by Vinnie Paz, who says he and member Jus Allah got tired of waiting on the producer, so they chose to move forward without him.

"By now you have heard that this is the first Jedi Mind Tricks album we've made without Stoupe handling the production. Bottom line is at some point after making our last album, A History of Violence, Stoupe lost his passion for making hip-hop and wanted to try new things," Paz explained. "Through our career, we've always waited on him to get inspired to make a new album, but this time around, we got tired of waiting out his creative drought.

"He tried to produce some things for this new album, but we could tell early on that his heart wasn't in making JMT records anymore," the rapper continued. "He's moved on as a producer to work in other genres with his side-projects, Dutch and Vespertina, and we've moved on with a new crop of talented producers to make the hardcore hip-hop we've always been known for."

Apparently, change is good. Paz said that working with younger beatmakers lit a fire under their asses.

"We're reinvigorated and we feel like these younger, hungrier kids put a battery in our back," he revealed. "Our fans deserve the best music we can make. Stoupe made great albums with us, but he's moved in a different direction as a producer, so we decided this was the best move for us to make sure we give you guys the best music we can. Regardless, Jus and I feel like we made a great record.

"We still are, and always will be, making hardcore shit no matter who man's the boards."

From their debut album, The Psycho-social, in 1996 to their seminal sophomore release, Violent By Design, to their musical expansion heard on Servants and Heaven, Kings in Hell, JMT has made an indelible impression on the independent music scene (with over 400K units sold), while arguably forging its own subgenre of rap.

Led by the fiery vocals of controversial front man, Vinnie Paz (who also released a critically acclaimed solo-LP, Season Of The Assassin in 2010), and his venerable rhyme partner, Jus Allah, the group has built one of the most critically-acclaimed and commercially-successful careers in independent music.

Violence Begets Violence will drop in all formats on October 25.

The 14-track effort features guest spots from Pacewon, Young Zee, and Blacastan; while producers include C-Lance, Nero, and Scott Stallone, among others.

Stoupe sucked the last couple albums in my opinion, so I'm taking this as good news. Maybe someone slapped Jus Allah across the dace and he won't suck either. If only they could make that Violet By Design sound again, when all 3 were on top of their game.

Comment

their last album was average, but i'll definitely check this release.
      vinni paz is getting better with his raps, so hopefully a new producer will work his magic and make another classic

Comment

Looking forward to the boys coming down to Australia for there tour that was recently organized by my promotions group

Comment

The last album was just so forgettable. Did like the Servants In Heaven Kings In Hell album and Vinnie's solo.

Comment

Originally posted by evidence View Post
            The last album was just so forgettable. Did like the Servants In Heaven Kings In Hell album and Vinnie's solo.
            Yeah, I listened to their last album once and never looked back. I loved Jus Allah on Violent By Design (best JMT album) but he changed his style too much and he's now the ODB/Bizarre of JMT (he ruins songs)

Comment

Who has read this thread:
            Working...
            X